Thread: "Documents and Settings" folder location in Windows 7

"Documents and Settings" folder location in Windows 7

Currently i am using the Windows XP on my system and i looking forward to install Windows 7 operating system. My intention is to get the second hard drive so that i would be having all the windows program files on first hard drive and Document and Settings on second drive. I have done the same thing on windows xp system but i do not have any idea about the Windows 7.

Re: "Documents and Settings" folder location in Windows 7

Common problem than safeguarding their personal data (images, documents, music, data ...). It does not take much to lose everything in a few moments.
    A crash your system, virus, improper handling can jeopardize all your memories and your work. To remedy this, it is possible to move your personal files on another partition on your hard drive and your various files (multimedia, instant messaging ...) still has to register there.

1. A click on Start, and Open Computer
    2. Pull down like this! Library \ Documents \ My Documents. (See below)
    3. Choose what you want to transfer. (Sample here Documents)
    4. and made a right click and select Properties, A click then on Location.
    5. Then select the location (device) you want for the new location of the Documents or another folder! (Storage can be achieved either by internal or external device).
    6. Click Select Folder, Click Apply, Confirm moving when the message appears in Windows 7! confirm (YES), you can see where the files will be moved.
    7. The My Documents folder is moved.

In case it returns back to its original location! then i guess you just meed to repeat the same process to the properties of My Documents.
    • In the Location tab, click either Move,
    • see picture below, but Defaults.
    • Click Apply.
    • On the issue of creating a folder, answer (Yes)
    • Confirm also the displacement (Yes)

The process of moving the my documents in windows 7 is not much difference then that of Windows XP system. I suggest you to directly try to move it to the different place by using the same process as that of windows xp which i guess you have done earlier. It do not think there would be ay problem for doing that.

"Documents and Settings" folder location in Windows 7

Friends,
    I have Windows XP currently installed on my computer and I am thinking to install Windows 7.

I am intended to get a second hard drive But I have Windows and the program files on the first hard drive and Documents and setting on second hard drive. I know the steps to do this in Windows XP but I don’t know whether it is possible in Windows 7 or not. Please help me and tell me the steps to do thin in Windows 7 if it is possible.

Re: Documents and Settings" folder location in Windows 7

In each users account My Documents is a special folder. It is the default save location for many type of files. Normally location for this is C:\Users\<Username>\Documents", but if you want to change this path to another directory or file then this is also possible.
    For that, browse to "C:\Users\<Username>" using Windows Explorer. You can press WINDOWS KEY + E to access this. Then right click on My Document and hit properties. Now click the location tab at the top of the window. And now to select new location click move which will allow you to select new location. Confirm your change by pressing OK button. Your documents are now stored to new location.

Moving My Document is a very easy task to do. The method for this is not very different from XP. Assuming that Windows 7 is same as windows XP, the document and Setting folder contains all the desktop files and the application data. It will make thing more simple if you have another drive which stores all your data. I don’t want a windows build where I have of losing important data or information such as my outlook .pst, my firefox bookmarks, or stuff I've got lurking on my desktop.

You can set this with "roaming profiles". First of all you need to go to "Computer Management and right click "Computer" --> Manage and then go to Local Users and Groups --> Users.

Now go to each user's profile and click on the "Profile" tab at the top of the window and put in the "Profile path" that you want to use. For multiple users you can simplify this by using something like "%username%" in the path to enable it to simply pick the user's username folder - rather than specifying each individual user's name in the path...

I have just found the solution how to remove this:
    Just follow the simple steps given below
    Right click to Properties > Security tab > Advanced Security settings > continue.
    It will show you the list of permission there's an entry listed Deny. just remove it and now you can access . This will not work for teh Documents and Settings shortcut on the C drive but it will work for the hidden folders (App data, cookies, etc) which are there in the user profile.

I guess you must be able to set this with the help of "roaming profiles". Just go to the "Computer Management" by right clicking on the My Computer and then go to Local Users and Groups -> Users. Now go to each user's profile and provide the path. You can use "%username%" in the profile's path in order to simply pick the user's username folder.

I have the solution to show the Documents and Settings in Windows 7
    just follow the steps below:

1. go to Organize
    2. folder and search option
    3.choose show all hidden files,folder and ....
    4.now open my computer and choose c:
    5.just right click on Documents and Settings then properties
    6. choose security then go to advanced
    7. on Permission choose change permission
    8. for example if your account name is "windows" select it and choose Edit ...
    9. give yourself full access and check the check box to apply it to all the folder
    Documents and Settings contain .
    note : if not do this issue for any folder do you want to open it
    10 . enjoy !! windows 7

First of all go to an Organize and then folder in which you have to enable the Search option. Then select show all hidden files,folder and ....Now start My Computer and then open the drive on which you have installed Windows OS. Right click on the Documents and Settings and go to its Properties. Switch to the Security tab and then click on an Advance and change the permissions. You must select for the permissions so that you can have all the rights to manage that folder.