Thread: Windows Server 2003 VPN Server Setup

Windows Server 2003 VPN Server Setup

I want with a few colleagues had set up a VPN server which is also not a problem, the VPN. Server works perfectly and everyone has an access to the VPN server can connect. The VPN server is running on Windows Server 2003. We would like to use this VPN server as a LAN interface for games, which can be played on LAN. I am directly connected to the LAN with the server just the other colleagues need to connect via the Internet, which also makes no problems as I said, but it is so, if I open a game server, I see it without problems, but unfortunately, see the colleagues not at the server, I know this game, or generally all the games on the LAN to send out a newsletter that arrives with me not only by colleagues. How do I set the VPN it responds almost as correct as a LAN connection, or how can I get this general problem under control?

Re: Windows Server 2003 VPN Server Setup

I am also facing the similar problem. I brought up the VPN server to Win2003 server and that on the: Start / Administration = Routing and Remote Access. I'm just point out the steps taken by the have been displayed, are connect to the server I am using the PPTP protocol, IP range I have set. All ports are open that are necessary and have the IP addresses assigned to the router, so I leave all my computer / server is not running on DHCP. Furthermore, I have turned off the firewall (for testing purposes), I had previously allowed the VPN connection in XP, unfortunately allows only one XP client and that's not enough, but I will say that I have to see me or my colleague in the game but when it tried to connect, after a few seconds (connection could not be established). The game we want to get the Lan to work is: Company Of Heroes - Opposing Fronts Patched up v2202. As already mentioned, I am in the network and the peers on the Internet on Windows XP we could only see us now on Win2003 server stops, the connection to the server is perfect and works so smoothly.

Note - We've got a different game tested and that Supreme Commander, there you combine the possibility of IP, and we made test purposes, the assigned IPs taken us divided the VPN / RAS, it works with the network, we are definitely connected, but we can not see us in all games in the lobby.

I am sure that you both might have not done the setting properly. You should follow the steps for installation and activation of VPN :
    1. First, the unity VPN with Microsoft Windows 2003, substantiate that the connection to the Internet and connect to your local network (LAN) are both configured appropriately, this is important for the subsequent stages.
    2. Click Start, point to Administrative Tools, and then snap Routing and Remote Access.
    3. Click the server name in the tree, and then tick Configure and Enable Routing and Remote Access on the Action menu. Click Next.
    4. In the Common Configurations dialog box, click Virtual Private Network (VPN server), then click Next.
    5. In the dialog box Remote Client Protocols, confirm that TCP / IP is included in the list, click Yes, all obtainable protocols are on this list, then click Next.
    6. In the Internet Connection dialog box, choose the Internet connection used to connect to the Internet, then click Next.
    7. In the dialog box IP address assignment, select automatically to use the DHCP server on your subnet to assign IP addresses to remote access clients and server.
    8. In the dialog box Managing multiple remote access servers, corroborate that the checkbox No, I do not want to configure this server to use RADIUS now enabled.
    9. Click Next, then Finish.
    10. Click the right mouse button on the Ports node, and then click Properties.
    11. In the Properties dialog box of ports, click the device WAN Miniport (PPTP), and then click Configure.
    12. In the dialog Configure Device - WAN Miniport (PPTP), this possibility is offered to you:

Note: If you do not want to support a remote user access VPN to modems installed directly on the server, clear the check box connections dial routing demand (incoming and outgoing).
    13. Enter the maximum number of simultaneous PPTP connections that you want to allow in the text box Maximum ports. (This number may depend on the number of available IP addresses.)
    14. Repeat steps 11-13 for the L2TP device, and then click OK.

Dr. V Guest

You should also know about the concept of virtual private network. The local area network (LAN) networks are domestic to an organization that is to say that the connections between machines belong to the association. These networks are progressively more connected to the Internet by means of interconnection paraphernalia. It happens so often that companies feel the need to communicate with associates, customers or even staff geologically remote via the Internet. However, data transmitted over the Internet are much more susceptible than when running on an internal network in an organization, because the path that is not defined in proceed, which means that the data are taking a public network communications owned different operators. Thus it is not unfeasible that the road traveled, the network is heard by a user indiscreet or even preoccupied. It is not plausible to transmit such sensitive information requirements for the organization or company.