Thread: Unable to install/update in Vista Home Premium

Unable to install/update in Vista Home Premium

I have been unable to download or update any software completely whilst running Vista Home Premium. It always seems to stop halfway through saying "Windows has stopped working" or an error message appears. Even Windows Updates stop working after a few minutes.

I understand that it could be that the Windows Installer is corrupt or not correctly installed on my computer. I have tried to download and install Windows Installer Cleanup Tool to no avail.

Can anyone please help who's experienced this with Vista Home Premium, its driving me crazy!

Thanks in advance,

rain8ow

Re: Unable to install/update in Vista Home Premium

Actually at the time when any application discontinue working, information is derived back to Microsoft and at the time a fix is established for whatsoever caused the difficulty, it will be put into practice by way of an update. Till than what i can suggest you is try to repair the Windows with the help of the installation CD.

Thanks for replying Soloman, unfortunately the computer was purchased without the installation CD. All software & files were already pre-loaded on the computer. Any other ideas that I can try? If I were to upgrade from Vista Home Premium to Windows 7 Home Premium, do you think this would solve the problem?

rain8ow

Yes offcourse, if upgrade your system to Windows 7, the problem will get fixed for sure. But still, i will suggest you to Install Windows 7 on your system from scratch. This will fix the problem surely. For more info on doing these stuffs, refer this:
    free vista upgrade to windows 7
    How to install the windows 7 service pack 1 and why

Thanks Maq.h, I really appreciate your feedback.

If I were to undertake a fresh install with Windows 7 Pro Home Premium, would I lose all of my files & folders (eg. itunes)? If I were to backup these files up before doing a fresh install, can I put these files back onto my desktop once W7 Pro has been installed?

rain8ow

If you can search on google then there are several good imaging backup programs. The fly in the ointment is if you have an unusual disk controller, when you boot the Restore CD to lay the image back on, it may not recognize the HD. Before even doing the backup, make the Restore CD and see if you can boot it and go into the restore program without errors. If you can see your HD then do the backup. Esp. if you have to burn to DVD this will save a lot of wasted discs since each backup program uses its own format. It's easier if you have an external USB drive to store the backup image. The free Macrium Reflect program is a nice backup. There are other free ones available also. None of it does you any good if you can't restore when the PC won't boot from the HD(disaster recovery.) Just make sure the Restore CD supports your hardware, then choose from the ones that do.