Thread: Desktop Icons don't open programs anymore

Desktop Icons don't open programs anymore

Currently I am having windows XP installed on my computer system. The problem is that desktop icons that are present on my computer system are not opening any programs that I have installed on my computer system. Whenever I am trying to open the program I am getting error message that is something like “program not found”. I just want to know the solution for this problem or the way through which I can link these things again.

Re: Desktop Icons don't open programs anymore

The only possible solution for this problem is that you need to right click on the icon and after that you have select properties, and set target file path for pointing the program that should open. I will try to explain this thing with the help of an example. If you want to open windows media player and the location for that is C:\ProgramFiles\windows media player\ wmplayer.exe. Then you have to set this location by right click on properties tab for short cut.

Before giving any solution for your problem I just want to know answers for few questions, that is this weird thing is happening for all the short cuts that are present or it is happening only for few icons. There are chances that this can be the result of some virus. So it will be better if you do virus scan on your computer system.

This problem is happening with all the icons that are present on my desktop. As you have said I have also done the virus scan with the help of antivirus software that I am having. At the time of virus scan some of the files in my system are quarantined but that is not solving the problem that I am facing but just neutralizing the cause. If you have any other solution then let me know about that.

I am not confident that this will solve the problem that you are facing but you can try this for solving the problem you are facing. The solution is simple that is try to do a system restore. But there is only problem related to this is that if you are having virus on your computer system then they will also be restored on your system. As I have said this is not the proper solution but you can try this if you do not have any other solution.

I am also having this problem with the notebook that I am having. At the time of restart some of the programs starts automatically without any problem but when I am clicking on icons that are present on the desktop they are not executing at all. Currently I am using avast antivirus software and I do not think that this problem is not related to any of the virus.

Well this method is used if you have accidently, remove the desktop shortcut, open the Notepad and paste the following sentences:
    Code:
    [Shell] 
    Command = 2 
    IconFile = explorer.exe, 3 
    [Taskbar] 
    Command = ToggleDesktop
    Go to menu File / Save As. In the Type list, select All Files. ShowDesktop.SCF Type in the File name field and then save the file in the folder C: \ Documents and Settings \ [your username] \ Application Data \ Microsoft \ Internet Explorer \ Quick Launch.