Thread: How to add a remote app (from xp mode) to the "open with..." context menu?

How to add a remote app (from xp mode) to the "open with..." context menu?

Hello everyone, I have installed in my system Adobe Photoshop CS2 CE. It works as a remote application in the XP mode. The files having the extension .psd started to open with the Photoshop by default. I actually want the Adobe Photoshop to be added to the "Open With" context menu. How can I achieve this? The actual problem is that when I select the "Choose default program..." option in the context menu, there is no Photoshop available in the list. I tried the solutions from other forums but it did not help. Please help.

Re: How to add a remote app (from xp mode) to the "open with..." context menu?

This problem may be because of the installation of Photoshop in not in the desired path i.e. you must have installed it at some new path. When you reinstall the application, the path in the registry for the application yet remains the same. So, I think that making the changes in the registry would really help. If you have tried the uninstall/reinstall funda you can go for the changes in the registry. Good Luck.

Eric B, actually I could not understand what were you trying to say by this line:"... When you reinstall the application ..." and I am sorry for that. Actually I have installed the Photoshop application for the first time in my system and that as a virtual application under the Windows XP. Also can you let me know how can I make the changes and also the changes that I will have to make in order to give it a go.

Thank you for stating that you have installed it once, but then als you can give the following a try.
    • Click on the Start
    • Go to Run
    • In the Run type regedit.exe
    • Now, right click on regedit.exe and choose "Run as administrator".

After doing this navigate to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\Photoshop.exe\shell\open\command . Now the step comes for changing the path, consider if the path is C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop CS3\Photoshop.exe then change it to C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop CS4\Photoshop.exe . Try it and let me know if this works. Best of Luck.