Thread: system update in progress

system update in progress

I have a snowball effect. It started with a bad video card and then a virus problem. I installed a Radeon HD 4670 after a GeForce 8600GT died. After installing the new card, bootup was normal until the XP screen, after that everything went black. It appeared the PC booted normally, but I could not see anything. Booting in safe mode resulted in a Mup.sys hang. Sooo, I decided to do a XP repair install. everything seemed fine, but now I'm caught in a "setup is being restarted..............." loop.

I don't know what to try next. I would prefer to solve the problem and not have to reformat and reinstall. At this point, I have booted the system from a 2nd HD and can access the problem HD. What should I try now?? Any sugestions??

Thanks!
    MSI K9N6GM mobo with Athlon 64x2 & Saphire Radeon 4670 video card

Re: system update in progress

Have you tried booting into safe mode with command prompt and tried to run chkdsk /f/r. You will first need to restart your computer. Then when the machine first starts again it will generally list some equipment that is installed in your machine, amount of memory, hard drives installed etc. At this point you should gently tap the F8 key repeatedly until you are presented with a Windows XP Advanced Options menu. At this menu, select the option for Safe Mode with Command Prompt using the arrow keys and then press Enter key on your keyboard and type in chkdsk /f/r press ENTER.
    DFI LANPARTY SLI-DR
    AMD 64 x2 4800+
    OCZ (2 x 512) DDR600

Thanks for your help!
    I couldn't boot into safe mode because it would hang on Mup.sys.
    I was able to run chkdsk by booting from a boot CD, but it didn't change anything. After trying a repair install a few more times, (along with anything else I could think of) I went ahead and did an install over the existing windows installation. It worked! I was fortunate in that I changed the user name, so the previous "my documents" folder was left intact.

Please note that I was able to boot off a second HD and copy all my important files before attempting the reinstall.

I'm now going to pick up a copy of Norton Ghost...

thanks again!

sunnyrepairs Guest

USe reginout regcleaner to fix ur problem