Thread: Wrong ELF Class ?? 64BITS Linux app error

Wrong ELF Class ?? 64BITS Linux app error

I am just trying to launch the Secondlife-i686-1.23.5.136262 app on Ubuntu 9.10 64 BitS and I received the following :

./secondlife/

64-bit Linux detected: Disabling GStreamer (streaming video and music) by default; edit ./secondlife/ to re-enable.

That looks as to indicates my entire 32 bits libs are indeed available , except below :

locate -eLi libgiofam.so
    /usr/lib/gio/modules/libgiofam.so

1)It seems to report a losing 32 libs in this situation , someone have any idea what package this would be in ?

2) One more thing, other research pointed to run with the JRE 32 bits installed as it requires it and I am running with the installation of the same.

Re: Wrong ELF Class ?? 64BITS Linux app error

You are moving to launch the 32-bit version of secondlife. If they don't contain the capability of 64-bit version, then you are just missing something for the 32-bit libraries requires to run such type of application, such as gstreamer and such. So, you have to go for the installation of 32-bit versions (as well as the 64-bit ones) of the different elements you requires to have . You can do that either with apt-get from a command line, or working with the synaptic package manager.

The 32-bit libraries are received within the /usr/lib and 64-bit ones in /usr/lib64. If somehow a 64-bit library has been installed within the /usr/lib, then the same would describe your issues . The ELF error is supposed that a shared library that the application (a 32-bit one pointed by the i686 in the name) is using to load a 64-bit shared library. That is the problem here, and why I indicated that you have to verify that you had the absolute 32-bit libraries installed. So, you require to consider what the appropriate situation may be.

I have done entire thing one does need to be performed, apt-get ia32-libs install = would assume the installation of 32 bits libraries where they should be... I am frustrated... everything else I have launched , installed, everything going fine except the one.

searching to fix the same as I would need to take my i5 box to linux , but currently it is blocking me.I would consider since I am working with the Linux x86_64 which my /usr/lib is actually 64 bits no? (maybe my logic is so simplistic) but hey I can be little bit wrong in this case ...

A 64-bit linux (x86_64) can be launched either or both 32-bit and 64-bit programs. That is the reason /usr/lib is for 32-bit only libraries, plus some settings components that is not regarding current discussion. All 64-bit libraries move into /usr/lib64. So,

I would consider since I am working with the Linux x86_64 which my /usr/lib is actually 64 bits no? (maybe my logic is so simplistic) but hey I can be little bit wrong in this case ...

is inappropriate. /usr/lib MUST be 32-bit only.

Fine, I have figured out the whole scenario and assumed that I am somewhere wrong to perform this operation... Would you point, how does one check if a libary file is 32 bits or 64 bits..

Since searching at the file name or directory not withstanding when we are assuming that the possiblity my libraries have been "intermixed or filed by the os at the incorrect place"