Thread: NTBackup "System State" & A Default "Exclude" Of NTDS\*

NTBackup "System State" & A Default "Exclude" Of NTDS\*

Hi,

I am getting ready to "adprep" an ailing 2003 R1(?) DC because it is holding back my 2003 R2 from promoting to an DC.

Anyway, I went to experiment with NTBackup -- hoping to backup the "System State" -- and find that the "Exclude Files" has defaulted to excluding "C:\WINNT\NTDS\*" and "D:\WINNT\NTDS\*"...

Anyone know why this is so? It would seem to be excluding the very thing it needs to be including to get a backup of the AD; and, looking at the detailed log produced by NTBackup, it show no sign of having backed-up NTDS.dit... Isn't that the very file that houses the AD db?

What's more is I even took the exclusions out and it still seemed to exclude NTDS.dit...

Help?

Re: NTBackup "System State" & A Default "Exclude" Of NTDS\*

Domain needs to be set to "all-local". Include *:\adsm.sys\...\* Must be first line processed in the include/exclude list. Presched runs a command line backup of the system state using ntbackup the contents of this command file is: ntbackup backup systemstate/f "C:\Srvutils\Systemstate.bkf" /m copy. More information on the ntbackup command can be found in Microsoft knowledgebase article Q300439 (http://support.microsoft.com/default...;en-us;Q300439)

Re: NTBackup "System State" & A Default "Exclude" Of NTDS\*

Hmmm, thanks... but I'm not running NTBackup through the scheduler and the NTBackup kb article (link) does not exist (at least anymore).