Thread: How to Change Default Location of .vmcx Files on Windows 7?

How to Change Default Location of .vmcx Files on Windows 7?

I want to know the method for changing the default location of .vmcx files on windows 7. Here are the steps that I have followed; I have tried to setup two virtual machine that is running XP through windows virtual computer system on windows 7 through the use of local administrator account. One virtual machine is having virtual machine internet explorer 6 installed and the other is having internet explorer 7. Any related reply will be appreciated.

Re: How to Change Default Location of .vmcx Files on Windows 7?

I am not confident that I have understood the then thing that you are trying to convey. Are you trying to directly open the vmc file inplace or vmcx? Basically it has all the information of the virtual machine. With windows virtual computer system, .vmc file is generated at the location the .vhd file, that can be a static location. I am running this thing through a short to the .vmc file. But really I have never tried anything like this, it will be good to try.

At the time you are creating virtual machine through the use of windows virtual PC on windows 7, it will provide an option for storing the virtual machine files. After completing the setup you will have four file in the folder that you have specified with the extensions like these (.vhd, .vmc, .vmc.vpcbackup and .vsv). Not only that, it will create a file that is having the configuration information for our virtual machine.

Well the thing is that after I have done the setup for my two virtual machines I have published the internet explorer 6 from one machine and internet explorer 7 on second machine for starting the host machine, so that I can run the virtual application as soon as possible. After that I have examined the target field for the two shortcuts that are on the host machine start menu.

One thing I will like to bring your notice is that if you trying to login as different user the shortcuts will be seen broken. If you want to fix those shortcuts you have to place the .vmcx setting files at the location C:\users\logged in username\Virtual Machines folder for the user you have logged in. These shortcuts will definitely work through referencing the default path for vmcx files.

When I try to log into Windows XP mode, I get the following error: "The local policy of this system does not allow you to logon interactively". Access to Windows XP mode requires membership in Administrators group or the Remote Desktop Users. For solving this problem I have Add the user to one of these groups or login with an account belonging to one of these groups. 5

Verify network connectivity by accessing a network resource, such as another computer or the Internet. Ask your system administrator to tell you how to add a computer account in domain. For example, you may need to use a wired connection or you may need to be present in the premises (and not in a remote location). If you use a shared network (default setting for Windows XP mode) and need to use a wired connection, make sure the computer is connected to the network using a cable (not a wireless connection).