Thread: Windows Server 2008 NPS RADIUS

Windows Server 2008 NPS RADIUS

I have a windows server 2008 standard certificate management server + nps. I create a client on the nps ( my nortel switch ), with a company certificate on my pc I have put the authentication certificate installed on the PC and server and when I did the packet capture I see my radius request and challenge and reject. I tested several scenarios nothing to do. Does someone have a procedure on Windows 2008 for nps RADIUS and the certificate. Please help.

Re: Windows Server 2008 NPS RADIUS

RADIUS a client-server protocol for managing a single site to me is same for all data authentication . The function of the radius in RFCs 2865and 2866 . Here's a little explanation:

1. The client sends a request "Access - Request ".
    2. The Radius server request additional information as an " Access Challenge ".
    3. The client lays by returning an " Access- Request ".

The process repeats until that server has enough information to authenticate the client (it's a challenge ). See you in the role management to install "business strategy and network access”. Once the installation is finished restart it goes to the mmc Server Manager and we place Roles, business strategy and network access then NPS we choose RADIUS server for wired and wireless 802.1X and then "configure 802.1X”. Here is chosen as the connection type 802.1X " secure wireless connections "And he gives name. Here we click add to specify access points to secure. In this window we enter the name and address access point to secure the key and then generate. Configured with EAP - MSCHAP V2. Now we must choose users who will have access to WiFi secure with Radius. Verification of parameters and then End. For the logs can configure the logging tab management mmc NPS.

For Windows Server 2008, it is necessary to install ( server 2008) , So that the utility IASMIGREADER is available. It will be necessary to copy it to your old server 2003 (on 2008, the utility is located in % windir% \ system32 \ iasmigreader.exe ( 32 bit ) or % windir % \ syswow64 \ iasmigreader.exe (64-bit ).Once the utility copied to your 2003 server , run it. This will create a file IAS.txt (% windir% \ system32 \ IAS or % windir% \ syswow64 \ IAS) which is compatible with the format used by NPS.

Setting up a VHS ( with Server 2008 R2, we can now create multiple SHVs ). The System Health Validator is a NAP component that has the task of checking one or more security features present on the client environments , including: The state of the firewall , the presence of a virus (to be updated or not) , the presence of anti-spyware (also updated or not), the activation status of automatic updates and whether the latest security updates (significant, critical , medium , low) are installed on the target operating system . In this article we will ensure that our clients have a firewall enabled and the system of automatic updating is also enabled him also.

The VHS set is then used to define strategies of Policy, which will allow the system NPS / NAP to interpret the results of customers and determine if it is found to be within ( it corresponds to the pre -requisites preconfigured in our VHS) when it is not (here we declare that the client does not conform to fail when one or more of VHS tests , meaning that its barrier Fire or its system of automatic updating is not enabled).