Thread: Latitude c600 XP Pro Service Pack 3 error

Latitude c600 XP Pro Service Pack 3 error

I have Latitude c600 laptop. It was working great until when I noticed hard drive making some sound. However, today I didn't noticed this problem but I am unable to install the latest Service Pack now. I can see SP3 under Windows Update but I get some error when I am trying to install it. How can I solve this problem?

Re: Latitude c600 XP Pro Service Pack 3 error

Download and reinstall Windows XP SP3 from the Microsoft Download Center manually. To do this, quit all the open programs and restart the computer.Log on to your computer with admin account. Visit the Microsoft Web site to reinstall Windows XP SP3. Select "Express Install (Recommended)". Click Install. Accept the Microsoft Software License Terms and then follow the wizard to complete the installation process. If this method did not resolve the issue, then start the Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) service and then reinstall Windows XP SP3 as stated above.

This problem occurs if you try to install the service pack when the computer is working under battery power. This helps to avoid any possibility of update failure because of battery power exhaustion during the installation process. Make sure your laptop power cable is connected to wall and getting AC power.

Make sure the file c:\windows\system32\drivers\ndis.sys is not open or in use by another application. If you are unsure then close all other applications and then click Retry. Also make sure you have BootDir registry with C: drive (system drive) as the value. To do this, go to Start - Run - Type “regedit” and click OK. Look for [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup]. Create a new registry by right-clicking on the empty area and selecting "New". Name it as “BootDir” and set its value to “C:\”.

It may be due to corrupted file stored in Software Distribution folder or interference from the same. To solve this turn off Automatic Updates, and remove the Software Distribution folder.

1. Click Start, and then click Run.
    2. Type the following, and then click OK: %windir%\SoftwareDistribution
    3. Right-click the Download folder, and then click Rename.
    4. Type Download.old as the new folder name, and then press ENTER.
    5. Exit Windows Explorer.

Turn on Automatic Updates once again to download Windows XP SP3.

Reset the permissions on the Registry and file by using the Subinacl.exe. To do this go to the command prompt and type the following. Make sure you press Enter after each command.

Code:
    cd /d “%ProgramFiles%\Windows Resource Kits\Tools”
    subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f
    subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CURRENT_USER /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f
    subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f
    subinacl /subdirectories %SystemDrive% /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f
    subinacl /subdirectories %windir%\*.* /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f
    secedit /configure /cfg %windir%\repair\secsetup.inf /db secsetup.sdb /verbose
    Make sure you have the administrative privileges before you run all of the above commands. Now, try to install Windows XP SP3, it should work as normal.