Thread: Passing a "Start In" directory path to an XP Mode application

Passing a "Start In" directory path to an XP Mode application

I have a Foxpro for Windows 2.6, and installed under XP mode on a PC having Windows 7. In the virtual mode XP, I created a shortcut for it on the desktop. Under the properties section for it, the target was set as "c:\program files\fpw26\foxprow.exe" and set the "Start In" as "c:\documents and settings\xpmuser\my documents\cb". When I click on the shortcut, Foxpro initializes itself in the data file's directory. Now, I want the same thing to be done from my Windows 7 desktop. How can I achieve it? Please help me.

Re: Passing a "Start In" directory path to an XP Mode application

I think Windows XP Mode always get virtual application to start in the executable directory. Actually I do not have the Foxpro with me, so I can not try it, but in case of all the other programs it is having the same scenario. Keeping this in mind I am coming up with one solution, you can keep the target in one folder where you wish to keep your data files. Now create a batch file, in order to run your Foxpro, and once this is done keep it in the same folder. After this is done create a for that batch file. Now copy the command line used i.e. "c:\program files\fpw26\foxprow.exe" to a .cmd file, then store it in the folder "C:\documents and settings\XPmuser\my documents\cb". Once this is finished in all the users program folder create a shortcut to that batch file. I hope that this may work for you, because it runs for all the other programs, so must the Foxpro.

Thanks a lot Enriqueta. I got it done to some extent. I created the batch file, .cmd file as it was suggested by you. I even managed to save it where it was required. After this, I created the shortcut that could be accessed from the desktop of Windows 7. The only thing I am worried of is, I see a black command line when I launch the program from the shortcut on the Windows 7 desktop. Is there any way of over coming it? I need all your help once again in this matter.

I am happy to learn that you got a go with my advice. I do not know actually how to get this problem solved. I think that there's some problem between Windows 7 and Windows XP with respect to shortcuts. I will give you a try to do and if this work I will be happy for you. In shortcut properties set "start minimized". This might help you. If you do not get rid of it then instead of using batch file you can switch to VB script and then execute your Foxpro.

After analyzing the thread I think that I can be of some help to you. I was also facing the same problem and I tried a lot of way to solve it. Finally I came up with the solution. What Enriqueta said "...In shortcut properties set "start minimized" ..." I am pretty doubtful about that. It won't work here since when a .cmd file or .bat file is used it is run using cmd.exe and the black window that you get to see is the result of that. What you really need to do is set the shortcut in VM in order to start minimized.

Thanks a lot Elieis your solution, it worked and the black command line was finally removed. It was all going well for some days, but some thing unlikely happened. The setting was done properly and I was able to view all the shortcuts on the XP Mode application from the Start menu. I was able to launch the foxpro from there, but when came again to access it just disappeared from the Windows 7 start menu. I did it all again but now I am unable to get it again. Please help, now I do not want it to be lost after tasting the success.

I have encountered this problem before. I do not think hat there is going to be some kind of problem with the antivirus side. The behaviour of the antivirus is normal in this matter. What I want you to check for is, another shortcut for the foxpro in the XP mode. If there is one try to remove it and then try again. In my scenario after creating a shortcut to cmd.exe, no shortcuts remain for displaying in Windows 7. Once when I removed them, it started to work again.