Thread: How to Install Gentoo Live CD?

How to Install Gentoo Live CD?

Hello,
    Did you try to install gentoo with the installer? I heard it is simple for a beginner, what are the devices a live cd can detect? Is it easy to configure a multiboot linux-win xp (automatic)?

Re: How to Install Gentoo Live CD?

I did not install with the live cd , to burn a new live cd. So we must try to detect the live cd then it follows that you install gentoo. This distribution is simple but the result of compiling everything, leads a facility whose duration is long. For a beginner, it's not the easiest distribution but not insurmountable. The multiboot is not difficult to implement.

In two words:
    Advantage: speed, personalization.
    disadvantage: the time of compilation.

Market for the latest live cd with gnome interface etc. it's pretty simple if you know a little Linux world (it does not clearly addresses audiences has beginners although the GUI is a first step etc.). Newbie with a reasoned doc is capable of installing gentoo on the command line without problems.

Indeed, there is no command line. I install for a friend is simple enough, but if I had not already installed by hand, I will not understand everything I think. For time is relative, there is no way to compile anything during the installation (grp + kernel live cd), it suffices to emerge - sync & & emerge world once the installation is finished.

Installation was less than 3 hours duration, but during this time I was not on the machine, I do not know at all when it stopped. Something to see, that at the end of the install, you start your computer, you can order it while typing, not gnome or even an X server. For the version of gnome, I know, it must depend, is if you arch or ~ arch (the latter allows for more recent versions of the program, some cons, it is not always stable and it takes s wait a surprises)