Thread: Have sound playback inside the server?

Have sound playback inside the server?

Here I am having a problem,I want an audio to be played through the soundcard of the server but I am unable to do so. No, I did not mean that I want to play the sound through my speakers when I am logged in, here I want the sound to be played through a soundcard which is connected physically to the server.Can anyone give me a solution to this problem?

Re: Have sound playback inside the server?

Here, please make a point that usually sound is disabled in the build, so it may not work as you expect it to do. To the best of my knowledge.Usually one cannot expect sound, because it is designed to run in headless mode hence no sound can be expected. As far as, for your problem by using the Remote Desktop Protocol you can direct the sound to the client machine.

Yes it is true that in Windows Home Server(WHS) the audio is disabled so, it is not possible to play music through speakers which is attached to the sound card. In addition to this WHS is not to be used as Operating System for desktop computers. This is the main reason why we cannot expect sound here. Using WHS in this manner would severely have an effect on the performance and the reliability of the system. This may be the sound reason why Microsoft would have chosen to disable the sound.

From all the above solutions given above I have come out for you with a different solution which you can give a try. I just managed to pick a magicJack, a HP MediaSmart serverand a USB soundcard. Actually, here I was thinking of plugging my magicJack into the HP MediaSmart server, but it has some ups and downs with it . Though I love magicJack, but it has a problem with it. Here in order for my magicJack to function properly its soft phone application must be running. Whenever I use the magicJack its soft phone application comes into picture. There is no problem with this when I am surfing or doing work in the office. But whenever I am playing game the problem arises, please help me out of this situation because I love my game and I want it to play without flaws.

Finally I have come up with a solution that is really going to work and it is really going to work. All you need to do is just to configure Remote Desktop Connection. After configuring the RDC just leave the sound at the remote computer. Once this is done, then start RDC with the command %systemroot%\system32\mstsc.exe /console and if you are using Vista with service pack 1 or higher then try his command %systemroot%\system32\mstsc.exe /admin. After completing this yo should be able to configure WHS in order to use the sound card.
    Once your WHS opens click Start-> Control Panel-> Sound and Audio Devices and then on the Audio tab you should see your audio device. Now if it is there then select it. After it is selected click on the Volume tab and unmute it and set the volume to your desired level. If you are not able to get your audio device listed then you may need to uninstall it and then reinstall the drivers for it.

Here I am with a solution for Mahanth this worked for me and I hope that it may work fine for you. I took my phone and connected to magicJack running on WHS, and did the following things:
    1. first make sure that the Windows Audio service is running.

2. log out of all the Terminal Services connections on WHS Server

3. run "MSTSC /admin"

4. on the "Local Resources" tab, select the option and leave audio at the remote server

5. and at last connect to the server via Terminal Services.
    After doing all the above steps magicJack launched itself and is is working correctly.