Thread: Alphabetical Sort Order is not really an Alphabetical on Windows 7

Alphabetical Sort Order is not really an Alphabetical on Windows 7

I have installed Windows 7 on my computer system and i think there is something wrong with this operating system as it is not arranging an items by proper alphabetical order. I have given an example as follows when i have nearly 3 similar titles. Eg : For 3 files named as Movie, Movie II, Movie III. It is arranging them as

Movie II
    Movie III
    Movie

Can anybody tell me that what can i do in order to solve this problem.

Re: Alphabetical Sort Order is not really an Alphabetical on Windows 7

I guess your operating system must be having some improper settings due to which an icons in your Windows Explorer are not getting arranged by an alphabetical order. Actually you have to select as Arrange By Name which arranges all icons of that particular folder in an Alphabetical order which in fact arranges an icons as per your expectations.

It might happen that there is a small differences between the titles of an icons which you are trying to place as per their names. Actually Alphabetical order works as per an ASCII table and it is given in this table that the blank space sorts before the '.' (period) because they are in that order in the ASCII table. I think you should check about the same.

I have heard that the windows 7 operating system sorts an items according to their full names which also includes an extension type of the file name. I think you should check that all the files are of same format or not. If there is anything different between the file formats of the movie files which you are sorting on your system then this kind of problem may arrive.

Best way to check about this issue is to create a files with an alphabetical order and then save them in a single folder. For example, You create files named as Balloon, Aura, caterpillar, doom. Now save all this files in one folder and then check that right click on a blank space on that folder and then click on an arrange by name. Now an order should be as follows.
    Aura
    Balloon
    caterpillar
    doom
    If you are viewing them in List view.