Thread: Windows XP will not boot only Dell MediaDirect dell support no help

Windows XP will not boot only Dell MediaDirect dell support no help

I am struggling with a Dell Inspiron 6400. When I plug the power cable, it starts. It starts on Dell MediaDirect, a kind of operating system that allows Dell to watch video without booting Windows. It starts without the bios appears, and without that I can access the bios (F2 for dell inspiron). but will not boot windows XP. I Can boot with windows xp, but only if I dismantled before the hard drive, access the bios, and commend the hard drive I restart. otherwise it starts on dell media direct. you see that it is not very practical.

Re: Windows XP will not boot only Dell MediaDirect dell support no help

You are getting this error because if you try to delete the operating system along with the DMD partition and then install the windows XP from scratch and in between if you press the Dell media direct that is the DMD key then it will continually loop you into the Dell Media Direct screen. For fixing this i would suggest you to hold the power button till the machine is turned off. Then press the DMD key again to switch it on. This will change the partition to the primary and windows will be loaded normally.

so it's what the score was used weird that I too trip turning into Windows Vista to XP on my back an XPS. The problem is that the CD provided by Dell to reinstall the Media Direct will break all the partitions and reformat everything. (Test inside while trying to install XP) So the only solution I see is to make a ghost of your disk, reinstall the Media Direct and re install your data via the ghost without it affects your score. Finally good luck and let me know that story if I do one day, I have a good manual

Yes, I think you will not have much choice: disk image of your currently installed with your data (that you put on dvd for example. Then you reinstall your laptop with the cd provided by Dell and then descends the image on your partition system without affecting the media partition. Going through something like partition magic to recreate the partition 3GB might be possible (although even when AC has a risk of data loss) but I'm not sure you can reinstall it over the dell apps without breaking your partition.

From my personal experience the support of DELL is for noob base. If you ask a question asking real technical knowledge they are totally outdated. Ex: I tried to find out whether there was an additional battery for the windows XP . So I sent an email to customer service and technical service. After one week no response. So I phoned and after the fifth person they passed me the answer.

There are two partitions that are more Windows on Dell, one of 3GB and I know how many, 200MB I think. I thought not at all a Media Direct, with its relatively basic functions could take as much space ... It's a bit messed anyway. By cons do not worry about the key, a nice dialog tells me (I expect retest): "Dell Media Experience does not start, try again by installing this software"

hi!
    i have been having the exact same trouble for the past two weeks since today...
    i know most o you would think i was desperate and you will be rigth to think that...
    a few minutes ago i just grab a knife and hit the media direct buton... and... it just pop up...
    aparently it just was stuck and that´s the reason why every time i just put the power cable on it started automatically witout any button presed...
    i would recomend a much less primitive aproach and take it to a dell service station for them to unstuck the dell media direct button. but hey! now i´m writhing this.

ps. forgive the gramar mispelling i´m mexican and my english is a little bit deficient.

a few minutes ago i just grab a knife and hit the media direct buton... and... it just pop up...
    aparently it just was stuck and that´s the reason why every time i just put the power cable on it started automatically witout any button presed...
    You are very lucky that it got working in your case. But it is not solution for everytime. Many times users get pissed by doing lots of things. The dell service really sucks when we want them more.