Thread: Problems with entering safe mode and HAL.DLL

Problems with entering safe mode and HAL.DLL

Hi, I have a serious problem in the computer and see if you can help me out. I have XP Professional and switched on this morning I get a black screen with a message that says "windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: <Windows root> \ system32 \ hal.dll. Reinstall a copy of above file". I can not enter the computer in any way. Do you know what I can do? Also I have tried to boot from the safe mode but even that is not working.!! So I decided to post here and get some help from you guys.

Re: Problems with entering safe mode and HAL.DLL

Find the Windows CD (with which you installed XP) and start your system from this CD. There choose the option "Repair" to appear after pressing the "R". Installation asks you to want access, then choose option 1. This step will ask the administrator password, if you have time administrator password prompt will appear, there must write: CHKDSK when it ends, type exit and restart the computer. I am sure that this will help you.

I would like to request you to leave the computer on a boot disk and access to the command prompt. Enter the following commands:
    C:
    edit boot.ini
    You access BOOT.INI by default it looks like:
    [Boot loader]
    timeout = 30
    default = multi (0) disk (0) rdisk (0) partition (1) \ WINDOWS
    [Operating systems]
    multi (0) disk (0) rdisk (0) partition (1) \ WINDOWS = "Microsoft Windows XP Professional" / fastdetect
    The error is in most cases the number of the partition that is indicated (this often occurs after an installation of a 2nd operating system). Change score (1) partition (2), and if it still does not change again until you figure just hit the right one. If you do not want to repeat several times Boot.ini, copy the entire line after [operating systems] and change the number in each, you just need to try different options available to you at the next startup.

I would like to request you to leave the computer on a boot disk and access to the command prompt. Enter the following commands:

C:
    edit boot.ini
    Still copy the entire line after [operating systems] and add after / fastdetect: / safeboot: minimal / sos / bootlog. Change the name of the option for "Safe Mode". You now have an option in the menu that allows you to access Safe Mode without having to press F8 during startup.

Try the following steps :
    1. Enter in Start ---> My Computer ----> right click ---> Properties ---> Advanced
    2. Advanced Options window located in the "Startup and Recovery Settings "---->
    3. In this window, "Startup and Recovery" Clickiar Edit "---- Delete all and put this:

[Boot loader]
    timeout = 1
    default = multi (0) disk (0) rdisk (0) partition (1) WINDOWS
    [Operating systems]
    multi (0) disk (0) rdisk (0) partition (1) WINDOWS = "Microsoft Windows XP Professional" / noexecute = optin / fastdetect
    I recommend that you keep a copy of the above in a notepad x if you do not work. If this does not find it here the other way more complicated :
    Insert your Windows CD, go to the Recovery Console by pressing R and then enter your Administrator password. Type these commands in the window of execution:
    Attrib-H-R-SC: Boot.ini
    From the C: Boot.ini
    Bootcfg / Rebuild
    Fixboot

If the operating system of the machine is Windows XP, then go to my computer then go to C: \ drive, then go into the windows folder, then you go into the system32 folder. Then once you came into this folder find the file hal.dll (look good that is not a folder is a file, remember that the files are sorted in alphabetical order to find so faster) once you copy it and then you will have to save it to a floppy or cd. Then turn on your machine and press F8 after that appears a menu where you have to choose safe mode or if windows xp safe mode if windows 98, you'll once again entered my computer, then then to windows system32 and paste the file you copied. I am sure that it will work.

HAL.DLL is a critical file system since even an attempt to start in safe mode, fails. We therefore need to use the Recovery Console. Several causes can bring this error, we will assume that only two: The path to the operating system in the BOOT.INI file is incorrect or the file is actually corrupted HAL.DLL. The installation choose to start the Recovery Console will be 1. C: \ Windows. After entering the administrator password, we get the command prompt C: \ Windows>.
    1. Start the Recovery Console in Windows XP.
    2. Run MAP to see the work environment and to know what partitions / drives are assigned drive letters.
    3. The MAP command has identified that the CD-ROMs of interest to us has the letter D. So it is to switch on this drive. For this type D:
    4. All files in system installations located in the I386 directory on the Windows XP CD, so you have access to the folder tree: CD i386
    5. Most DLLs are stored in the file driver.cab, so it is likely that our file is there. Conduct an audit using the EXPAND command:
      • EXPAND driver.cab / F: hal.dll / D