Thread: How do I delete a shared folder on Windows 7

How do I delete a shared folder on Windows 7

I have a folder I produced that I somehow facilitated sharing for. It has a diminutive lock icon next to it and I cannot get rid of it without it continuously reappearing. I desire to delete this folder, additional than I cannot for the reason that it tells me I necessitate authorization or to log on as an administrator. How do I log on as admin and eliminate this shared folder. These tribulations be able to happen if you do not encompass sufficient permission to change or eliminate the shared folder To eliminate it, should you be able to take ownership of the folder first.

Re: How do I delete a shared folder on Windows 7

The elimination of the shared folder place on top icon in windows explorer you be able to no longer observe at a glance which folders in a chain of command are shared. This creates it regarding as complicated as it be supposed to possibly be to run by means of file servers , and maintaining track of where NTFS permissions necessitate to be practical when shares go several levels deep, and inherit sanctuary progressively down the tree. I was going to report this as a bug additional than it seems its by design (sic). I immediately desire to be familiar with how long it determines to be previous to there is an update / patch / hack or something I be able to apply to get these back. For the reason that I am not migrating my file servers to R2 without them. No way.

If you imagine that why was the sharing hand detached in favor of the confidential place on top. Given the changes in how people utilize systems, sharing information in sequence is becoming additional and supplementary of the defaulting state. Most people have comprise some sort of home network, and when you set up a HomeGroup, attractive much the whole thing is going to be shared. To eliminate the visual clutter, the information in sequence was shifted to the Details pane. What's additional, a single overlay cannot express the dissimilar ways an item be supposed to be shared, so in order to figure out what the deal is, you have comprise to go to the Details pane anyway.

Normally speaking, the overlays are not a superior method of presenting information in sequence for the reason that there be able to be merely one overlay per icon, and there is a limit of 15 overlays per ImageList. If there are two or additional overlays which apply to an item, then one determine to win and the additional determine to lose, at which point the value of the overlay as a method of determining what properties apply to an item diminishes in view of the fact that the basically method to be certain that a property is missing is when you observe no overlay at the entire. (If you observe some additional overlay, you cannot tell whether it's for the reason that your property is missing or because that additional overlay is demonstrating as an alternative of yours.).

You be supposed to be understand that net share is not at the entire convenient for viewing a hierarchy of shares. Particularly not when there are thousands of them per server. When shares and NTFS permissions inheritance is prearranged hierarchically, a number of kinds of structured hierarchical view of those shares in general context of the file system is necessary. This is what the share overlay gave us, and what Microsoft comprise extremely carelessly removed. The points you have completed in your response are perhaps relevant for a home OS, additional than positively do not apply to an enterprise one. From the amount of web-chatter I have comprise and read, it would seem that admins are normally unhappy regarding the removal of this specific overlay. I agree that it be supposed to be up to the users to decide what overlays they utilize, it’s not Microsoft’s right to eliminate this unilaterally I would in addition similar to be familiar with when Microsoft plans to bring back this overlay. Without it I imagine that my company determines to most likely not upgrade our file servers to R2 moreover.

Yes it’s moderately incredible that the shared folder icon has been detached from the UI. And there is not a method to re-enable it actually seriously have an effect on how Windows 2008 R2 is usable in the enterprise. It’s not presently for file servers additional than the capability to easily observe shared folders at a glance was actually helpful in lots of situations. My additional illustration is by means of the 'Server' service. If you have comprise a number of tribulations by means of it subsequent to a reboot or something, you might be familiar with if none of your shares were visible in explorer.

You must have to Unshared that folder First.You can Right Click on the Folder and unchecked the Shared Option.Now it's unshared Folder.Now You can Delete it with the Simple Delete of If You want to so Permanently then Give it Shift +Del.

I ran into a chap at a Microsoft occasion in recent times. His suggestion was to create certain that anybody who cares regarding these tribulations be supposed to open a PSS case and report it as a bug. Even if it’s not theoretically a bug, the additional tribulations and complaints that are raised by means of MS determine to increase the chances that a 'fix' determine to be implemented later on. So I would give confidence everybody to get on the phone to PSS. In addition create abundance of noise regarding it on this forum (for the reason that it is monitored by MS) and speak to your MS Technical Account Managers regarding how this determine to affect your R2 migrations.