Thread: How to Boot WinPE on Intel iMacs

How to Boot WinPE on Intel iMacs

Hello friends I have created a GUI to built a new PE image using WinPE 3.0 and VistaPE. It works pretty well and I can boot from the flash drive on any pc but its showing some error whenever I try to boot on iMacs. As far as i know iMacs can recognize the flash drive and can boot from it. I have managed to create a boot.efi file on my flashdrive that makes the device show on the boot screen, but it doesn't target the PE files so it just boots into the Mac's OS. Can any one help me to solve this issue.

Re: How to Boot WinPE on Intel iMacs

I think the problem which you might be facing is that XP is designed to boot from a machine that includes a standard BIOS. So that can be one of the reason for not able to boot on iMac. Since iMac does not use a BIOS, it uses an Intels EFI (Extensible Firmware Interface) shell that has been developed as a replacement for the standard x86 BIOS. So this could be the possibility of an error in booting on iMAC.

TO boot iMac through flash drive you need to set up with bootcamp which requires the Mac OS. You can use PE disc which is based on WinPE 2.0 because contains many options specially to install iMac NIC. For this you have to redo the PE image so the documentation can be written can be written up for it again. Once the image is created you can use that in the flashdrive to voot your iMac.

Hey why dont you use this option and see if it works for you,
    • Firstly, Boot intel Mac with WinPE CD
    • Delete all the contents of hard drive (diskpart), ensuring everything is MBR rather than GPT
    • Create a 350MB primary, active partition
    • Copy contents of WinPE discover CD from usb key, network.
    • Shut down the mac with 'wpeutil shutdown' to ensure a clean fs dismount
    • Target boot mac and suck off two things:
    • 1) the MBR and partition table:
      dd if=/dev/rdisk0 of=/path/to/your/mbr.file bs=512 count=1
    • 2) use ntfsclone to clone off the PE partition

See if it works for you.

I recommend that you should use NetRestore for the entire thing. NetRestore will let you restore both the Mac side and the PC side in on attempt, using WinPE. It supports full automation which is made truly useful in its pre- and post-scripts.
    Example: "Partition Drive Boot Camp" script which will format and partition your drive to your specifications with a HFS+ and a NTFS partition, allowing you to image them both easily.