Thread: Password Policy in Windows 2003 Server

Password Policy in Windows 2003 Server

I want help for password policies in Windows 2003 Server. I'm looking to implement a password policy at the company. Apparently using a GPO, I can not change the security setting in your computer (so the policy local password). I want to implement this policy password for my user accounts. Can you tell me how? Any other information related to the topic would be grateful.

Re: Password Policy in Windows 2003 Server

You do the same thing but you apply your strategy or at the domain controllers (the base is the local DCs AD). In Active Directory domains Microsoft Windows 2000 and Windows Server 2003, you can use a single account lockout policy and password, which is specified in the default domain policy domain, all users included in the field. Therefore, if you want the account lockout settings and different password for different sets of users, you need to create a password filter or deploy multiple domains. Both options were costly for different reasons.

Given time, the encrypted data and sufficient computing power, attackers can involve almost any cryptographic system. You can prevent the success of such attacks with the task as difficult as possible. Two key strategies for achieving this will require users to configure complex passwords and that they change their passwords periodically, so that the attackers did not have enough time to crack the encryption code complex.

You must set the password strategy to necessitate multifarious passwords that surround a combination of uppercase and lowercase letters, numbers and symbols, and are classically a minimum of six characters or more for all accounts, including administrative accounts, as the local administrator, domain administrator and manager of the company. Thus, when users enter a new password, the password policy concludes whether it meets the complexity requirements forced. You can set requirements for complex passwords, however, such policies may augment costs to the organization by forcing users to select passwords that are hard to memorize. The users could be forced to call IT support for help in case you forget your password, or can write their passwords, making them susceptible to discovery. For this reason, establishing password policies, balancing the need for security against the need for the password policy is easy to follow for users.

In general, the existing complexity is not regarded as sufficient. What one should look for a hedge nor are the number of attempts and the associated off-times for the accounts. For even a highly complex password is useless if it does not account closures and delays are in the wrong password entries. Windows Server 2003 does a separate password policy, because if it was created it applies only to the local users of the computer that is located in the appropriate OU. For domain users still use the settings from the Default Domain Policy is applied. Only from Windows Server 2008 this is possible with PSOs what you have before!!