Thread: Windows 7 and Thumbs.db

Windows 7 and Thumbs.db

I have been using a custom made desktop computer which is running with windows 7. Recently i have seen a file appearing on my desktop which is named as thumbs.db. No matter how many times i delete the thumbs.db file it reappears again on the desktop please tell me how to get rid of this thumbs.db file i will appreciate your help.

Re: Windows 7 and Thumbs.db

This appears that the thumbs.db file is a kind of virus infection and moreover it is a hidden file so i would suggest you to hide the hidden files the files are hidden and hence i would advice you to hide all the files that are hidden from the folder options. if the problem persists sill then install and use CCleaner. Hope that this will definitely help you to get rid of this problem.

As per your recommendations i installed the CCleaner also the tick is active. With windows XP to permanently delete the Thumbs. db, it is Open windows explorer> Tools> Folder Options, tab "View"> check "Do not cache thumbnails". In the tab windows 7 "Do not cache thumbnails" no longer exists. How to eradicate these thumbnails. Thank you for replying.

I had this problems before and after a lot of research i found a fix to get these files deleted hope you will also get this problem fixed. You simply need to go to the Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 and then edit the Registry key which as mentioned below

[HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionPoliciesExplorer]

"NoThumbnailCache" = dword: 00000001

So to summarize there is no point removing the file thumbs.db. The virus known to date that hides hidden folders is PeSrvr.exe. It creates hidden files autorun.inf which prevents opening the storage disks. You must scan your PC with updated antivirus, and that you delete this virus (it can be called differently depending on the version of the worm). Then do a search of the files "autorun.inf" with the option hidden files and removes all those at the root of your records. Above all, before making any such trick, do not double click directly on hard disk for opens, and does not connect the USB key to your PC.