Thread: Cannot install Windows 7 to the selected drive

Cannot install Windows 7 to the selected drive

I have reviewed about the Windows 7 and liked it most but when i am trying to install the same into the hard driver of mine using the single partition it is throwing an error that "Windows cannot be installed to this device" which i am unable to understand. I am using the WD 640GB Black edition Sata drive and don't know whats wrong with the same. So if you can then please help me with the same. Thank you.

Re: Cannot install Windows 7 to the selected drive

If you are getting the problem then i will advise you to check for the AHCI mode and if possible then change it also use the RAID driver. I think you have not provided the complete information regarding the same so if possible then let me know about the complete problem that you are facing and the i will provide you the solution for same.

My SATA drive is running as the IDE mode and when i am trying to install the Windows 7 it is asking for the dynamic disk for the same and also giving the above said error. I have tried to install many times but not getting any proper solution with the same. So if you can then please let me know about the same.

As per your issue i think that the BIOS of yours is not showing the compatibility with the Windows 7. In that case i will advise you to go to BIOS of yours and then set it to the compatibility mode for the SATA controller. After that try to install the Windows 7 on the SATA drive of yours and see whether it is working for you or not.

I will advise you to work with the RAID driver. If you are having the Windows Vista driver for RAID then install the same and then create the partition for the same. Now insert the Windows 7 DVD and start with the installation of the Windows 7 with the same and see whether it is working with the error or not. Hope this will help you.

If nothing from the above replies are able to resolve the issue of yours and you are having the same problem with the Windows 7 installation then i will advise you to contact the Microsoft regarding the issue which you are getting and ask the same. They can guide you and provide you the proper solution for the installation of the Windows 7.

I ran into the same error message when using the AHCI controller on 7-64 Pro.
    The fix was removing all other drives from the system, deleting the first partition on the HD I wanted as the boot device and leaving it as unallocated space. I then unplugged the USB flash drive and rebooted the computer. In BIOS I set the HD as the first boot device then rebooted. I hit F8 to boot off the Windows 7 DVD and went into setup. I plugged the USB flash drive with the AHCI drivers on it back in and loaded them. It worked! No more 0x8030001 message.