Thread: USB redirection to a remote 2008 R2 SP1 server using RemoteFX

USB redirection to a remote 2008 R2 SP1 server using RemoteFX

I am trying RemoteFX USB redirection feature on my Windows 2008 R2 SP1 server. My client computer is under Windows 7 and have a USB biometric reader. I don't this should be creating any problem. I am trying to utilize the biometric reader for login to Windows 2008 R2 SP1 server situated remotely. The problem I am having is that my reader is left undetected from the server. No matter what I do, it doesn't work at all. Where am I missing and how can I solve this problem?

Re: USB redirection to a remote 2008 R2 SP1 server using RemoteFX

RemoteFX USB redirection helps the user to use any device. There are a lot of high-level redirections like Easy Print, Drive Redirection, Smart Card Redirection, Plug-and-Play Device Redirection, Input Redirection, Audio Redirection, Port Redirection, etc. But there are still a lot of devices that are still left uncovered some of which include scanners, multifunction printers, webcams, and more.

Did you installed the device driver on the server? If not then do it and see if that works. Moreover, you are only allowed to have only one session to use device at a given point of time. So if there is already a session that is using the device then the local client will be restricted from gaining the access to it.

Are you sure if the RemoteFX USB redirection feature is enabled? Go to Group Policy, look for Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Remote Desktop Services\Remote Desktop Connection Client\RemoteFX USB Device Redirection. Edit the policy which says “Allow RDP redirection of other supported RemoteFX USB devices from this computer.” Simply enable the policy and make sure you select the users who are allowed to use this feature. Now on the client machines, type “gpupdate /force” on the command prompt with administrative privileges to apply changes and reboot your computer.

RemoteFX is the Remote Desktop Protocol providing few kinds of high-level redirection. Since it’s not possible to provide consistent high-level device redirection solution for all the devices, you need some device-specific solutions for your problem. Go to the Local Resources tab, Local devices and resources, More, and then Other supportted RemoteFX USB devices setting. Use this setting to map your USB biometric reader that you are unable to detect.