Thread: External USB hard disk slow on Windows 7

External USB hard disk slow on Windows 7

Hi everyone, I have finished the installation of an external USB hard disk onto my Windows 7 laptop but having some issues with this establishment. The hard disk is brand new and allegedly having some capability of 60MB/s but I am running yet to get with the speeds more than the 17.8Mb/second while the average assumes to be 5-7Mb/second . Any suggestion regarding this where the issue should be ?

Re: External USB hard disk slow on Windows 7

I am also running with the same workaround and situation with the same issue. Actually , the issue occurred is that my hard disk (a toshiba USB 2.0 1tb) on a sony vaio vgn-ar61m) only get the 17.8mb/second as a "burst" in the primary file and it copies when copying a bunch of files. Once the first file would finish the copying procedure and the rest of the files moved back to about 5 to 7/mb / second . That seems very ridiculous! According to me Internet connection, my broadband is quick than that !
    Searching the forums can help you to find your answers more quickly

Since performing the installation of Windows 7 of my USB ports that seems ridiculously slow running , USB 1.0 speed going too fine . I was not running with this issue and never received before . As well as, I didn't got this when i was working on windows XP, so it is not related to the hardware issues. It is affecting a categories of devices, so there is no one here to blame in this situation .What should be the causes for this issue according to you . Share your ideas guys ...

According to me the USB that I have connected is actually freezing my system in some cases . I am working with the USB sound blaster external 24bit and USB keyboard-mouse. I can easily go for watching the movie the sound got stucked and then after sometimes , it accomplished the freezing . I am working with build 7201 and I haven't bothered with any latest ones just considering for RTM and hopefully they have resolved this

I have been suffering with the USB since the first day I have done the installation of windows Vista and these problems have persisted within the Windows 7 in the same way. Having USB devices to work (properly) onto the Vista/Windows 7 seems as the gamble for me. In some cases, it goes feasible and not sometimes it doesn't. From Windows XP on the other hand, USB goes properly without any issues .

I am not sure about the actual issue , but it's mostly driver associated. Since I am working with an previously issues nForce2 motherboard, having Vista/Windows 7 supported chipset drivers is out of the question; the board is actually so old. Like this or not, I am just moving to have to live with this I think...
    "Me fail English!? That unpossible!"

I was just going to purchase a new one external harddrive that should be capable of 40GB( parallel and USB 2.0 ) and installation of Windows xp and windows me on the same....

I am little bit afraid here : are external hard drives are moving very slow for a common accessibility and what is the difference within the speed of internal and external devices...

"External" hard drives adjusted within the drawers that connect with the EIDE connectors are available, Commonly from local computer builders. These may be any hard drive and will do the same thing as an internal drive move to do for . I have worked upon this system for long years just for sharing the data between the systems that I worked with . The only caution is that you need to be careful not to drop or shock the hard drive as you come this from different places .