Thread: Format a hard drive to ntfs in windows 7

Format a hard drive to ntfs in windows 7

I have some hard drive failure issue on my system. I had not found nothing on my system. I am using Windows 7 and I am not able to format my hard drive. When run the same the disk management nothing happens. It keeps on rotating and the disc is not formatted. The hard drive is not so old. I don't want to use any third party software which can entirely spoil my hard drive.

Re: Format a hard drive to ntfs in windows 7

I am trying to move the partition in my system but I am also facing certain issue here. I have data in one part of the drive and I want to add up some disc space for the same. For that I had tried to get in Disk Management. But still the resizing gives a hard time here. It might be due to my old drive or some connection issue with the motherboard. Change the cable and check back.

Windows cannot format a hard drive in my system. In fact I have two hard drives installed on my PC, the primary one of 80GB which has windows and software and the other one for my data. I had kept the partition as D for the other one. Now I had added a new partition to the other drive as E and when I right click to format the same to NTFS it is not working. I got a error message saying Windows cannot format.

Yes the problem comes from hard ware failure.You cannot delete a partition that you are currently using. There can be two case here. First if there is windows in that partition then you might not get access to format that and the other one is that the drive might be having too much bad sectors. Try to format the same with Windows bootable disc. This works most of the time.

I am trying now to change the letter but a message appears saying Windows cannot modify the drive letter of your volume. My Windows drive is healthy and that does not shows up any error. The best way is to use cmd and clear the partition issue. For that run cmd and then type format D:. D is the drive name which you want to format. Then leave as much time it takes. The issue is common with old drives.

I would like to reformat my hard drive. I am using Windows 7 system. I am not planning to install windows back but I just want to remove the same due to virus issue. I had boot from bootable disc of Windows XP. I am not having Windows 7 disc so I want to know that does formatting to NTFS with Windows XP disc will be helpful or not. The format option is not working via Disk Management.

It may be necessary to format the hard drive when the computer crashes often after installing and uninstalling many programs, shareware or freeware, lost dll files, etc. Windows becomes unstable and greatly slows the computer. In fact pieces of Windows programs disappear causing system instability. Click on Start > Programs and then chose Administrative Tools. Then look for Disk Management and then format it from there. If not then you can use a bootable disc.