Thread: Sysprep Fails after Removing User Folder

Sysprep Fails after Removing User Folder

After running sysprep on my image creation box, I have restarted for testing the sysprep and surprisingly it fails and it is giving me error message that is something like this. “Windows is not able to parse and not able to process the unattend answer file for passing.” The settings that are specified in the answer file cannot be applied. One thing that I want to bring your notice that the error is detected at the time of processing the settings for components and this is happing from the time I have removed the user’s folder that was named as “setup” from the directory C:\users previous to running sysprep.

Dr. V Guest

Re: Sysprep Fails after Removing User Folder

I am not able to understand why you are deleting the user before configuring the sysprep, according to me this step is not required at all. Whatever may be the reason this is part of the problem that you are facing and I am not having any idea or read anywhere that this step is required at the time of configuring. Have you tried to validate the XML file that you are using, you can do the same thing in WSIM tool that is a part of WAIK.

Actually I prefer to remove the users that are not needed, user profile from the image that is before I have sent that thing into production. There are many folders present in the C:\ users directory, including the setup users as well as the several local accounts that are created at the time of initial sysprep testing. And for your information I have build the xml file through the use of WSIM.

The way you have followed the procedure you must not get the problem that you are facing, but then also you are getting this problem. Can you tell me which sysprep command you are trying to use. According me you should use this command.
    C:\Windows\System32\sysprep\sysprep.exe /generalize /oobe /shutdown /unattend:"C:\windows\system32\sysprep\sysprep.xml"

If you are using anything else then please let me know about that, so that I can help you to solve the problem.

Just for your information, I think you must the process that is happening when you are running sysprep. Just make sure that nothing should conflict with this process.
    1. After verifying that sysprep can run it initialize logging.
    2. Then it parses the command line argument.
    3. The processes of sysprep action, is calling the appropriate .dll files and also the executable files and then adding the action for logging the file.
    4. Finally it verifies all the .dll files that have processed all the tasks, and then it restarts or shut down the system.
    I am not saying that this will solve your problem but may be helpful for finding the solution of your problem.

Actually I was also getting the same problem, but got the solution for this problem, I have done a mistake at the time of removing users. By mistake I have deleted the folder in place of deleting the profile from the advance computer properties. I have just corrected the mistake and now it is working fine. If you have done the same mistake then I will suggest you to do the same thing.

Thank you for the reply; you are right on the node, I have also deleted the folder in place of deleting the users. For solving the problem I have reinstall all the things again and this time I have taken care at the time of deleting user and now it is working fine. Once again thanks for the helpful reply that you have given, if I am having any other problem then, surely I am going to comes here.