Thread: How to reset windows password using command prompt in windows 7

How to reset windows password using command prompt in windows 7

I have installed Windows 7 operating system on my computer and i want to reset the password of my windows. I have tried it using the net user Mad Geek * in order to reset the password but it did not worked. Can anybody tell me that how can i reset the windows password using the command prompt.

Re: How to reset windows password using command prompt in windows 7

If you want to change the user account's password of your windows operating system then you can do it from the command prompt as well as you have to first log in as an administrator and then type cmd in the RUN search bar from the Start Menu. In command prompt, you have to type net user user_name * /domain and then when you will be asked for the password then please enter the NEW password and retype the new one for confirmation.

There is one more command which you can use to change the password of your windows account. I guess you must be knowing that how to start the command prompt on your windows system. Once you have opened the command prompt then you have to type " net user user_name new_password " without quotation marks. Changing the password using this command does not prompts you again and by using this command you can change the passwords in a batch file. If you will be an ordinary user and not an admin then you would be getting the message as "System error 5 has occurred. Access is denied".

Thank you so much, This is first time when i have asked question on some forum and have got the answer so quickly. I am not much appreciating about answering my problem so quickly but you guys have really solved my problem by posting the proper and accurate information about the changing the password from the command prompt. Thank you so much!!!

Dr. V Guest

I think you have enough ways to reset the windows password on your windows 7 computer system so i am waiting for your reply that does this solutions have worked on your system or not. If not then what are the further problem you are facing, Please mention those problems so that we can provide you the solution for the same.

buaini Guest

In the command prompt you can monitor all the user of the computer by typing some commands.Press Win Key+R and type “cmd” in the Run command box and hit enter to open command prompt.Type “net user” in the command prompt and hit “Enter“. This will show all the users of the computer.Now suppose that you want to change the password of the user “abc“.So type the following command and hit enter net user [username] .For instance in this example the user name is abc. So the command should be net user abc

Now in the command prompt you will be prompted to enter a password for the user. Note that the format is not available here. Put your password and hit “Enter“. You have to retype the password again for confirmation

By the way,you can bought a third party tool like Windows Password Key,it is easily and safely to reset the windows password

Don't you think using command prompt to reset windows 7 password is so complicate?

Quote Originally Posted by melodygong View Post
    Don't you think using command prompt to reset windows 7 password is so complicate?
    Well, if you find it tough to reset password with command prompt then you can also try to create a a password reset disk to gain access to your computer in the case when you forget your password in future. There are also many software or tools available on the net that you can use to reset password of windows, some of them are even free.
    DFI LANPARTY SLI-DR
    AMD 64 x2 4800+
    OCZ (2 x 512) DDR600