Thread: Turn off a BitLocker drive on Windows 7 Professional

Turn off a BitLocker drive on Windows 7 Professional

I have installed Windows 7 Professional on one Hard disk which was encrypted with BitLocker on a Windows 7 Ultimate operating system. At the time of installing, i have removed the main hard disk partition but still all the data is there on an encrypted partition. I am able to unlock it but i unable to turn it off in order to deactivate an encryption. Can anybody help me to do this?

Re: Turn off a BitLocker drive on Windows 7 Professional

If you want to suspend BitLocker Drive Encryption then please follow the given steps.
    1. Go to the Start menu and open Control Panel from where you have to open System and Security. Now click on the BitLocker Drive Encryption.
    2. Click Suspend Protection for the operating system drive.
    3. You will get the message that the suspended BitLocker will not protect your data, so click on YES and Continue.
    4. In order to read data from the driver you have to use clear key.
    5. Click Resume Protection from the BitLocker Drive Encryption Control Panel item to start using BitLocker Drive Encryption again.

If you want to only turn OFF the BitLocker Drive Encryption then you should go to the Start Menu from where you have open Control Panel. Here you have to open System and Security and then click on the BitLocker Drive Encryption. Now search for the driver of which you want to turn off the BitLocker Drive Encryption and click on Turn Off BitLocker. Click Decrypt the drive to continue and turn off BitLocker on the drive.

I am using Windows 7 Professional which i have got by upgrading an OS. I am getting the message about backing up my encryption key. I have never asked windows to encrypt any of my files and even i have never used Bitlocker on my system then why i am getting such messages on my windows 7 systems.