Thread: Windows 7 offline files do not sync real time while online?

Windows 7 offline files do not sync real time while online?

I have few network folders available offline. If another user removes any files from these folders, I am unable to see the changes. I have to restart computer or do a manual sync to see the changes. I tried clearing cache of offline files but still the same problem. What should be done and how do you have this set to see the changes in real time?

I am under Windows 7 computer right now.

Re: Windows 7 offline files do not sync real time while online?

You can use the CSCCMD tool to manage offline files. The CSCCMD tool uses the following syntax:

CSCCMD [/RESID] [/ENABLE] [/DISABLE] [/DISCONNECT:\\Server\Share] [/MOVESHARE:\\Server\Share1 \\Server\Share2] [/?]

• /ENABLE – Enables Client-Side Caching (CSC) on a client. This switch lets you access and synchronize network files while you are working offline.
    • /DISABLE – Disables CSC. Before you run this command, you must make sure that you have closed all offline files. If you disable CSC, you cannot work on network files while you are working offline.
    • /ENUM[:\\Server\Share[\Path]] [/RECURSE] – Displays all the shares in the local cache. If you use this switch with the /RECURSE option, the CSCCMD tool displays the contents of the shares within a parent share. You can also display the contents of a specific share of a server. To do this, use the \\Server\Share format.
    • /DISCONNECT:\\Server\Share – Disconnects a specific server from Client Side Caching on the client computer. Use the \\Server\Share format to specify the name of a specific shared resource of a server that you want to disconnect.
    • /MOVESHARE:\\Server1\Share \\Server2\Share – Move files and directories from one share to another share in the cache.
    • /RESID – Restamp all the entries in the Windows offline files (CSC) database by using a new user security identifier (SID).
    • /ISENABLED or /ISCSCENABLED – Determines whether CSC is enabled on your client computer.
    • /PIN2:\\server\share\path [/USER] [/SYSTEM] [/USERINHERIT] [/SYSTEMINHERIT] – Shares resources. Use the /USER option to pin a file. This action has the same result as using the Offline Files dialog box to cache the file. The /SYSTEM option specifies that the shared resource must be administratively pinned by configuring the Group Policy settings. The /USERINHERIT option and the /SYSTEMINHERIT]INHERIT option designates how the pin data is inherited.
    • /PIN2:filename /FILELIST [/UNICODE] [/USER] [/SYSTEM] [/USERINHERIT] [/SYSTEMINHERIT] – Use this switch if you want to use a file that describes all the objects to pin as parameters.
    • /UNPIN2:\\server\share\path [/USER] [/SYSTEM] [/USERINHERIT] [/SYSTEMINHERIT] [/RECURSE] – Use this switch to unpin a shared resource or to remove a shared resource from the local cache. If you use this switch with the /RECURSE option, the CSCCMD tool unpins all children of the path. If you use this switch with the /RECURSE2 option, the CSCCMD tool unpins the path and children of the path.
    • /UNPIN2:filename /FILELIST [/UNICODE] [/USER] [/SYSTEM] [/USERINHERIT] [/SYSTEMINHERIT] – Use this switch to unpin a specific set of shared resources by using a file.
    • /FILL:\\Server\Share\Path - Use this switch to copy server-side data to the local cache for a specified shared resource.
    • /FILL:FileName /FILELIST [/UNICODE] – Use this switch to copy server-side data to the local cache for a set of specified shared resources by using a file.
    • /DELETE:\\Server\Share\Path [/RECURSE] [/RECURSE2] – Use this switch to delete a file, a directory, or a share from the local cache.
    • /ISSERVEROFFLINE:\\Server - Use this switch to determine whether CSC considers a specific server to be offline.
    • /SETSPACE:Bytes to Set - Use this switch to specify the disk space in bytes that you want to allocate to temporary offline files.
    • /CHECKDB [/QUICK] – Use this switch to examine the CSC database and to display any database error flags. If you use this switch with the /QUICK option, the CSCCMD tool skips the enumeration, and just displays the database errors.
    • /EXTRACT[:\\Server\Share[\Path]] /TARGET:Path [/RECURSE] [/ONLYMODIFIED] [/STOPONERROR] – Use this switch to extract a file, a directory, or a directory tree from the local cache.

Open Windows Registry. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer. Create a new entry with name "Max Cached Icons" and assign the value to "12000". Now create a new entry at HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer with name as NoSimpleNetIDList and set it to "1".

I don't see any problem with your setup or anything else. This is how offline files are supposed to work. Basically its like if you are working offline and if someone changes a file in a shared network folder, then Windows will syncs those changes with the offline file on your computer the next time you connect to that network folder. And if you have also changed the file then you will receive a conflict error and you will be asked to which version you want to keep.

When you select a network file or folder to make available offline, Windows automatically creates a copy of that file or folder on your computer. Anytime you re-connect to that network folder, Windows will sync the files between your computer and the network folder. You can also sync them manually at any time. For better understanding of offline files, refer this article: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...-offline-files

Solomon - I rarely reply to posts like yours. the point we are trying to make is that when our client is "ONLINE" and changes should be apparent right away, like instantly !!! - What is happening is Windows 7 on in my case SBS 2003 SP2 treats the Windows 7 computer as if it is "OFFLINE" and requires a sync to bring it up to date. this would be normal if the client was "OFFLINE" like attached to the incorrect wireless network next door and when he VPNs back to the office he has to sync to get all the OFFLINE FILES updated. But this is not what we are saying. Our Clients are connected to the LAN by cable or wireless should make no difference and changes are not seen on the network or vice versa till the Windows 7 Client Syncs. THIS IS NOT HOW IT IS TO WORK !!! - ON ANY PLANET !!! - i to will have to open a ticket with Microsoft if I do not find something more current than this forum that looks like it died on this issue...Warning, there are many so called fixes that have you make changes on the Server and or on the Client - Undo them if they do not work as they are suggesting changes that can break other things. i just can not believe this is still an unresolved issue, it is a basic function that has worked fine for years. i am starting to think that other postings about the "Slow Connection Detection" has something to do with the issue. Currently all my Windows 7 clients have a connection less than >1MS. Microsoft might have it set to >.001MS to activate the slow network detection, I just know my client is PISSED off and will not consider upgrading to SBS2008 with this issue not being corrected first...Good luck ALL...

Chaps - I too am experiencing this on W7 clients connecting to 2003 Files servers. I can get this to work however only when the user utilizing the offline files cache is a member of the local administrators group on the client!!!??? which is about as much use as a handbrake on a canoe! MS have had a shocker with this. Have tried allsorts to fix this now. Even checked all the DCOM stuff for offline files. Sick of microsoft "experts" as well advising it's the way it's supposed to be when it's a down-and-out bug in W7!

SP1 did not fix either!

would love a resolution on this issue of anyone's had any joy

I dont know whether it works or not but you can try out the registry change to solve this issue a bit, follow these steps:

On the 2003 server you have to ADD this reg entry and set it to 0:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\MRXSmb\Parameters\
    OplocksDisabled REG_DWORD 0 or 1
    Default: 0 (not disabled)

And then Change this entry to 1:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters
    EnableOplocks REG_DWORD 0 or 1
    Default: 1 (enabled)

You will NEED to restart the server and once that is done it should just work on the Windows 7 Machines, you may need to restart the W7 machines too.

Hey thanks for the rapid post back back no joy I'm afraid!

I think the problem definitely lies at client layer as if i pop the user in local admins, everything is as it should be. Take them out of that and it all goes wrong! and that's to the same \\server\share

The quest goes on...

Am going to try a building a W2K8 server and see if this maybe helps. Anything at this stage is worth trying!

MS - Fix this issue - it's a major glitch in an otherwise excellent product!

MarkU,

I am intrigued by your post. I only have the problem with 1 user. He's the boss and his domain user is already a member of the local Administrator group. Did you have to do anything to get that to work?

Thanks,
    Norb