Thread: Adding domain user to a Windows 7 laptop: The trust relationship between this workstation and the primary domain failed.

Adding domain user to a Windows 7 laptop: The trust relationship between this workstation and the primary domain failed.

I have used Windows XP and have added the Domain Users many time and never faced any problem regarding it. Recently i have updated my system to Windows 7 on which i am trying to add a domain user but i am getting an error as The trust relationship between this workstation and the primary domain failed. Is there anybody who can tell me that what this error indicates?

Re: Adding domain user to a Windows 7 laptop: The trust relationship between this workstation and the primary domain failed.

I guess an error message which you have got itself says that the Computer system does not have a valid Domain Account. So nobody would be able to use an AD Domain credentials. So your windows 7 computer system wont be allowing you to access domain controller to authenticate them. So each user would be needing a separate Local User Account.

Re: Adding domain user to a Windows 7 laptop: The trust relationship between this workstation and the primary domain failed.

I guess Primary Domain have made such settings which is not allowing to create the other domain users on the same system. I think you should check the settings of an Primary account which you have created on your Windows laptop. It might happen that you have made such setting that there can be only one Domain user and all other should be like local user accounts.

Reasons for getting the error " The trust relationship between this workstation and the primary domain failed. " are many as follows.
    • At a command prompt, type either of the following commands: Net Use \\<ComputerName>\<Share> OR Net View \\<ComputerName>
    • You are in Server Manager and try to view the computer's properties.
    • You are in User Manager and try to add a user account from the Member Server or Workstation's database.

Dr. V Guest

I have seen that you get this type of error when you attempt to create an account on the computer system which as an account with an incorrect role or its password has been mismatched with the domain database. For solving this problem you have to remove that particular account from your system then you may create the new one through which you can create domain users as well.

1. First of all Log on locally as a local administrator.
    2. Open Control Panel and then Network tool where you have to select for the Change and enter a Workgroup name, ignore the Domain.
    3. Reboot your system and then log in as a local Admin.
    4. You can join to Domain from the client and simultaneously you can also give administrator username and password.