Thread: Issues adding out-of-box drivers to a sysprep of Windows 7 using the setting

Issues adding out-of-box drivers to a sysprep of Windows 7 using the setting

Currently I am trying to setup the sysprep for my Windows 7 Pro using the folder that is having out of box drivers. Till now I am not able to get this to work, not to mention that I have followed each and every step that is mentioned in the documentation that is coming with the windows system image manager. I just want the solution for this issue adding out-of-box drivers to a sysprep of Windows 7 using the setting.

Re: Issues adding out-of-box drivers to a sysprep of Windows 7 using the setting

The only thing I can suggest you is to skip this whole thing with the use of Gost, it will better to use Microsoft Development ToolKit 2010 for this purpose. You do not need to pay for this tool, as this tool is freely available from Microsoft official site. But you should use this if you do not want to boot the computer system through the use of CD. I am telling this because in Microsoft Development Toolkit 2010 you are allowed to add drivers for your standard program.

Re: Issues adding out-of-box drivers to a sysprep of Windows 7 using the setting

According to me the best thing you can have for solving your problem is Deployment Image Servicing and Management (DISM.exe). This is command line tool that is used for updating the offline windows images. You can do this by using two methods, the first one is that remove the drivers offline with the help of DISM, and relate an unattended answer file for offline images and the other method is to add or remove the drives from command prompt.

Start your computer system in windows portable executable mode and then you need to create ImageX image of the machine; that is providing you WIM file. From that place you have to mount this WIM file and then you need to add the driver that you need in offline mode and this will automatically add them to the driver store. After you get the driver in the driver store, then system will automatically will use that at the time of sysprep and will do the PnP detection.

I totally agree with the above reply that through the use of free tools and then making the WIM file image you will not require to pay for the ghost licenses and you can also manage the drivers offline. As far as I know WIM file are smaller in size, hence there will not be any problem in managing those file but if the files are not sector based then it will require a little longer time. But in any of the case you will not face the problem again.

It seems that I have to persuade the net admin for allowing the access to the server for installing Microsoft Development Toolkit 2010. The only thing I can say is that with the help of Ghost I have managed the things for many years and also suggested other to use it and now I am leaving it. Finally I just want to know why they make everything so complicated.

I have to say that this is very helpful post, and I am sure that it will solve the problem but the thing I want to know is that is there no other way then this. I mean creating the WIM and then updating that thing at the time it is mounted and after that redeploying that WIM for the accurate driver store. It is a bit complicated and it is difficult to leave the previous method for solving the problem that I was using.