Thread: Windows 7 and NWLink IPX/SPX/NetBIOS

Windows 7 and NWLink IPX/SPX/NetBIOS

Currently I am having legacy application in my office and we are using windows Xp and planning to migrate to windows 7. Windows XP needs the configuration for "NWLink IPX/SPX/NetBIOS" and I need to run these application to be run perfectly in Windows 7, so before taking any further steps I want to know whether if IPX/SPX is available for Windows 7 or not and if it is available then how we can use it.

Re: Windows 7 and NWLink IPX/SPX/NetBIOS

As far as I know there is no IPX/SPX support for windows 7 since Window vista and windows 7 is not using that thing anymore. If you need this application for running your office then I will not suggest you to migrate to Windows 7 since it is not providing the support you need to have. Continue with your current operating system if you do not want to get in any mess.

It is true that you will not get support for IPX/SPX support for Windows 7 but there is a turn around you can use this application in windows 7 by installing and using windows XP mode in your windows 7 operating system. Through the use of this system you will be allowed to use all the application of windows XP in windows 7 environment. I hope that it will be helpful to you.

Thanks for reply that you have given, it is bad to know that there is no support IPX/SPX support for Windows 7. You have given a new life to me by suggesting me a turnaround method. But the problem is that I am not having any related idea to using windows XP mode in windows 7 operating system. It will better if any of you can through a light on this topic. I will be waiting for the related reply.

Basically Windows XP mode works in two ways, and both of these are virtual operating system and provide a method for opening and running windows XP programs in windows 7. This windows XP mode runs in a completely different window on your windows 7 desktop. You can use each and every functionality that you were using in windows XP through the use of this.

Just for your information, if you find any program that is not working in that mode then the first thing you need to try is to use program compatibility troubleshooter. This is designed for solving most of the problem that are related to windows 7. If you find any hardware device not working in Windows XP mode then the reason for this is that this device is not detected in windows XP mode. I hope this will be helpful for solving the issue.

I will suggest you to first check that your computer system is capable of hardware assisted virtualization. For checking this you can go to Windows XP Mode and Windows Virtual PC support website and then you will require to download hardware assisted virtualization detection tool. This utility will check your system and for compatibility and if you receive an error then it is clear that your computer system is not meant for that purpose.