Thread: Delete user profiles older than a specified number of days on system restart

Delete user profiles older than a specified number of days on system restart

They have regarding 300 Vista Enterprise SP1 x86 Lab systems on a 2003 domain that is a child domain of a 2008 forest/parent domain. I have comprise and built a innovative group policy that is using the "Delete user profiles elder than a particular numeral of days on system restart" setting and specifying 30 days. Additional than for some reason subsequent to the systems reboot and I log in by means of an administrator, the user profile service by no means searches and cleans up previous profiles. I be able to observe profiles that are clearly older than 30 days in the c:\users directory and the submission log does not demonstrate several events from search-ProfileNotify event source. I have tried to put out of action roaming profiles thinking that was a tribulations. I have demonstrated from side to side rsop.msc that the policy is certainly applying successfully, it immediately by no means does anything.

Re: Delete user profiles older than a specified number of days on system restart

The tribulations seems to be the numeral 300. No, I in conclusion originate out - it's basically a bug. Explanation: be appropriate the corresponding registry value. I might confirm it running. The HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\System Type:RegDWord(32) Name:CleanupProfiles Value: upper limit age in days To allocate/deploy this registry setting, utilize moreover a startup script or group policy preferences (GPP).

Re: Delete user profiles older than a specified number of days on system restart

Yes, I had deployed that registry situation via group policy and it tranquil was not running. I have on the other hand figured out what the tribulations is. When I looked in the User Profiles menu on the entire of my apparatus, the modified date was saying the present date always. Subsequent to a number of digging it looks similar to each morning at 4am, Windows Defender was working with and modifying the ntuser.dat in every user's profile account, thus marking it as customized that morning.

The recent past I put out of action Windows Defender by means of Policy and this morning the customized dates on the profiles are no longer reorganized to today, they are tranquil at 3/31/2009. This means that windows protector did not scan and revolutionize the modified flag on the ntuser.dat files this morning so the policy "be supposed to" start running once I deploy it additional internationally or worldwide. The bigger query (not for this discussion I guess) is why Windows Defender Marking was several files as modified when it's working with a scan. McAfee does not do that, nor do several backup programs I have ever seen. So does that mean that windows defender essentially opens up these user hive files and is doing incredible within them. Type of scary and odd to me additional than at least I be familiar with why at present.

I immediately confirmed on one of my test apparatus by setting the policy to 1 day and at present it is running. In the end turning off windows defender fixed the tribulations. The "Delete user profiles older than a particular numeral of days on system restart" Group Policy is an innovative Group Policy in Windows Vista. When you organize the setting of this Group Policy and then restart the system, the Group Policy might delete user profiles.

If you desire to observe the setting of the "Delete user profiles older than a particular numeral of days on computer restart" Group Policy in Windows Vista by using the Local Group Policy Editor, go subsequent to these in this you have to hit it off Start button. After that you have to disintegrate this imageExpand this image to start button and type gpedit.msc in the Start Search box, and then hit it off gpedit in the Programs list. After that you have to disintegrate this imageExpand this image to the User Account Control permission. If you are encouraged for an administrator password or for authentication, type the password, or hit it off Continue. Then in the under system arrangement, expand Administrative Templates, expand System, and then hit it off User Profiles. In the details pane, twice hit it off Delete user profiles older than a particular numeral of days on system restart.

You be able to in addition facilitate this Group Policy on a domain container or in a managerial unit by using Active Directory Domain Services (AD DS). Subsequent to you facilitate this Group Policy, the Group Policy facilitate the User Profiles service. When you restart the system and then log on to the system by using a user account that is a member of the administrators group, the User Profiles service eliminate user profiles that have not been used surrounded by a specified numeral of days.