Thread: How do you disable the taskbar preview window pop-ups?

How do you disable the taskbar preview window pop-ups?

I need help for disabling the preview windows that pops up whenever I am using mouse pointer hover on the item that is shown on the task bar. I was able to disable the desktop composition option, that is changing the preview widows in list. I do not want anything to pop up while I am working, they are not helpful but only a headache for me. In short I want to know how you disable the taskbar preview window pop-ups. Any related reply will be appreciated.

Re: How do you disable the taskbar preview window pop-ups?

I am not having the idea related to disabling that; but it will be better if you set the hover time to a longer value. For that you need to open Regedit in the run window. This will open the registry window for you and then you need to search for this registry key. HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced . After that you have to right click on right pane and then you have to create a new DWORD called ExtendedUIHoverTime, there you have to set the value to 30000, that will be equal to 30 seconds. It will be better to extend the limit for your use. I hope this will help you to solve the problem.

Thank you for the reply that you have given but my friend I am using 64 bit system and the option of DWord is only available in 32 bit system as far as I know. One more thing 30000 is a decimal value and not the hexadecimal value, will this not be causing any problem to the registry. If you are having any other reply then please let me know about that. I will be waiting for your reply.

Actually thing is that the value 30000 is in milliseconds and it is not necessary to have that value to be hexadecimal, it must be decimal value. Your other point about the Dword is not correct, this Dword is available for both 32bit as well as 64 bit, and you just need to search for that. If you have any other problem then let me know I will try to resolve it as soon as possible.

I amazed with the Microsoft because it is clear that most of the user hate to get pop, then also Microsoft has not given any easy method for disabling these pop ups. Nobody likes to get pop while browsing internet hence this should be understood by Microsoft that nobody is going to like the pop ups in operating system.

According to me you are wrong, because Microsoft has given an easy way out for this thing and you will not require hack the registry for that purpose.

1. Go to Start button and then type GPEdit.msc in the Instant search text box.
    2. After that you have to go to User Configuration then you have to go to administrative Templates then you have to go to Start Menu and Taskbar in left pane of Local Group Policy Editor.
    3. Then you have to click on the Turn off taskbar thumbnails that is in the right pane of the Local Group Policy editor.
    4. Then you have enabled the radio button.
    5. That’s all you need to do.

If you want to disable all the tooltips that you need to follow these simple steps:
    1. First you have to go to Start then to Run and then type regedit.
    2. Then you have to scroll down to the HKEY_CURRENT_USER then to the software then to Microsoft then to Window then to CurrentVersion then to Explore and then to Advanced.
    3. At that place you can see the entry name something like ShowInfoTip, then click on the Dword value to 00000000.
    4. Then you have to exit and the restart your system.