Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

Switching from Vista64 to Ubuntu 8.10

Operating Systems

Old 04-08-2010

Switching from Vista64 to Ubuntu 8.10

After my laptop properly now since the summer running with Ubuntu 8.04, I would now like to venture the attempt to install Ubuntu on my desktop PC. has also contributed to by Creative, which finally NEN Linux driver (not beta) is now publishing. My desktop PC I use for: - Internet - Music - Movies (via HD output to TV) - Games. Especially for the latter video drivers are current and functioning of course necessary. My system in detail:
Motherboard: Asus P5Q-E (Intel P45 chipset)
CPU: Core2Duo E8400 (2x3.00 GHz)
RAM: 4 GB G. Skill
Graphics: Sapphire Radeon HD 4870
Sound: Creative X-Fi ExtremeMusic
HDD: Samsung S-ATA 160 GB
DVD: Samsung DVD burner
Mouse: Logitech G5
Keyboard: Cherry Evolution Stream
Are there any known issues in advance with parts of my hardware? Especially the drivers from Creative interested. I will to test my old IDE hard drive install time and install Ubuntu on it. The S-ATA hard drive with Vista previously disconnected.

Old 04-08-2010

Re: Switching from Vista64 to Ubuntu 8.10

Everything looks ok so far apart from the sound card because the driver you have to translate itself as someone has it already given an instructions. As for the graphics simply install the fglrx package from the sources and then :
sudo aticonfig - initial - force
Old 04-08-2010

What does that translate the driver itself? Can I imagine a lot of grad not under it. And what exactly does :
sudo aticonfig - initial - force
??
I'll Later install the old HDD for testing. My Samsung DVD writer seems not to like 8:10. N seems to be general problem, I've read in several forums that people have with just this model also problems with the installation. With the old LG DVD drive was no error then. However, the monitor was black, when it is changed into graphical setup (monitor indicates: "Wrong input level. The Alternate install CD could I, but the same problem came on first boot.) Seems to be well on the card or the driver, can someone help me?
Old 04-08-2010

Go look at the console (Ctrl + alt + f1). Then you use nano to edit xorg.conf to (sudo nano / etc/X11/xorg.conf) where you ask the driver to install then. Otherwise you just installed the ATI drivers (sudo apt-get install xorg-driver-fglrx) nanach (sudo aticonfig - initial - force) and reboot. The aticonfig - initial - force is the xorg.conf the driver from ATI on one.
Old 04-08-2010

Quote:
you just installed the ATI drivers (sudo apt-get install xorg-driver-fglrx) nanach (sudo aticonfig - initial - force) and reboot.
The go to the console with ctrl + alt + f1 have to make in each case. Then you can switch to either see or fglrx install. If ctrl + alt + F1 you can not start Assists in recovery mode. Just at the beginning, press ESC and then select the recovery mode.

TechArena Community > Software > Operating Systems
Tags: , , , , , , , , ,