Thread: Transparent GIF as Windows 7 Desktop background picture

Transparent GIF as Windows 7 Desktop background picture

I have decided to switch to a new operating system, as it is a long time since I am using Windows XP. I want to upgrade to Windows 7. I want to know if the transparent GIF can be set as Windows 7 Desktop background picture or not. I usually prefer GIFs as my wallpaper and Windows XP used to provide transparency, that was a very good feature. Please let me know if this feature is present in Windows 7 or not.

Dr. V Guest

Re: Transparent GIF as Windows 7 Desktop background picture

I want to inform you, first of all that an upgradation to Windows 7 cannot be done from Windows XP. You need to do a clean install by formatting and removing the older files of the system. Also, the upgradation can only be done from a previous version, that is Windows Vista. Well, it is recommended by many experts that Windows 7 must not be installed, as it has many problems, the incompatibilities being the worst ones. If you really want a change in the operating system, then switch to Windows Vista.

I am using the Windows 7 operating system. Because of this, I can assure you that the transparent GIF cannot be set as Windows 7 Desktop background picture. The reason for this is that when a .gif image is set as a desktop wallpaper, it is directly converted into .jpeg. Thus, the particular image looses its transparency.

A technique that can help you to set a transparent GIF as Windows 7 Desktop background picture is to save that photo as jpeg. This can be done by opening the same in Paint. After saving it, go to View and there, select Refresh or Reload, as the option is stated there.

Here, you will get 2 versions of the photos, the jpeg as well as the gif one. Selecting the jpeg one will do the trick for you. If you have any problems for going about with this method, then just let me know, so that I can clarify.

It is good to know that there are members in TA, who are having knowledge on various queries and problems. I was never aware about the technique that was provided by jesse. On going about with the steps provided by her, I was able to implement the transparent GIF as Windows 7 Desktop background picture. Thank you for all your valuable comments.