Thread: OS 10.5 Merging partitions with disk utility

OS 10.5 Merging partitions with disk utility

During the Christmas holidays, I wanted to install Windows XP on my mac. So I downloaded Bootcamp , buying a bigger HD. After installing it , I install OS X disappointed and there I made the terrible blunder of trying to create two partitions ( one for the system and the other for my data ) . Once installation is complete, I run the bootcamp utility and there, I can not use it because my hard drive is partitioned. I wonder if it was possible to merge my two partitions without reinstalling OS X? To know that I have almost no data for the moment so these do not hesitate formatting. Please help.Thank you in advance.

Re: OS 10.5 Merging partitions with disk utility

When you want more than four partitions , we must create an extended partition . This is neither more nor less than a primary partition that will contain special secondary partitions (or logical drives for MS-DOS and Windows). An extended partition may contain several secondary partitions and does not distinguish a user program (or for the system) of other partitions. Only primary partitions are directly recognized by the BIOS. The extended partition table is contained in the RBA. The RBA may also in turn , contain an extended partition that will contain the time of tertiary partitions and so on.

It must go into Disk Utility , select your disk and go to the tab partitioning. Then you delete your Windows partition. In the little drawing on your right you 'll see a hole in the bottom so your OSX partition , all you need to click in the right corner and drag it down. A small button is pressed apply and it's done.

Before execute PartitionMagic. Before using PartitionMagic it is advisable to make a backup disk hard . PartitionMagic has been subjected to rigorous testing to ensure its safety and reliability. However , other factors ( power outages, bugs in the operating system, hardware defective , etc. . ) can damage your data. Think making a copy of Backup your data before performing any utility significantly altering the disk . Software PowerQuest Drive Image ® is the ideal tool to safeguard the partitions.

For me, the situation is simple :
    * Either you have an external drive for complete backup of your system: in this case , you just have to clone your system, verify that the clone is OK by starting over and then format the internal drive, cloned in the opposite direction on the disk and restart internal.
    * either you have no backup : in this case , I would abstain.