Thread: Vista - msconfig not working in normal mode; ok in safe

Vista - msconfig not working in normal mode; ok in safe

Am running vista home premium 64 bit - I had a "frozen/please wait problem" - it got resolved in a painful fashion.

But now Normal mode isnt' running completely:
    Windows Mail client not working
    Network Sharing Centre not working - but IE ok & I can get to the internet
    ***MSConfig in normal mode freezes everything up

In Safe Mode w/ networking - MSConfig is fine & I see normal startup enabled along with all services & start-up options checked. Windows Mail is ok as is the networking centre.

What I've already tried with no problems detected:
    2 malware/spyware/fix-it programs (Malwarebytes & Advanced System Care), sfc /scannow, chkdsk /f /r, start up repair tools - all under safe mode

(The msconfig application shows up in a safe mode search as only 284 KB but in 2 spots with same date/size - one in c:\windows\system & another in c:\windows\winsxs\amd64_microsoft _windows ...)

**Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix? I don't want to nuke my machine back to kingdom come as it seems like a sml but critical problem - thx all

Re: Vista - msconfig not working in normal mode; ok in safe

Hi friend, as i can see this is your very first post, first i should Welcome you to Techarena Forums. Later i would like to suggest you that please search the forum before you post any new query to avoid the duplication.

Anyways, if your system is unable to open or find msconfig than it surely the case of any virus or worm. Your system has been infected or any important file has been damaged by trojans. Its little difficult to fix it without formatting the drive but anyways, try out these posts:
    msconfig, regedit, and many other exe's not working
    Msconfig not found
    Steps to configure MSConfig

blush Re: Vista - msconfig not working in normal mode; ok in safe

Thanks for the links - while not entirely applicable, they were helpful in my understanding.

It turns out that I had to reformat. A painful process - I had my data backed up but not some of the downloaded programs I had. Oh well

Re: Vista - msconfig not working in normal mode; ok in safe

Well, you should have tried to perform a clean boot on a computer that is running Windows Vista by following these steps.

1. Click Start, type msconfig in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Continue.

2.On the General tab, click Selective Startup.

3. Under Selective Startup, click to clear the Load Startup Items check box.

4. Click the Services tab, click to select the Hide All Microsoft Services check box, and then click Disable All.

5. Click OK.

6. When you are prompted, click Restart.

7. After the computer starts, reinstall and start the program and check whether the problem is resolved.