Thread: Error Code 8007051A

Error Code 8007051A

Hello to all,

Windows Vista Home Basic gets 0x8007051a error when running Windows Update .

Do a help please. Thanks for any help.

Re: Error Code 8007051A

Refer to this help, How to Manually Download and Install Windows Vista Updates , see if it helps.

Free Windows Update support from Microsoft for Vista SP1:

http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...4&gprid=500921
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. - Albert Einstein

What we think, we become (Please don't think you are a superhero and don't try to fly)

"SUCCESS IS NOT A DESTINATION , IT'S A JOURNEY"

Hi,

Error: Indicates two revision levels are incompatible.Which Version of Windows Vista you have installed on your machine,OEM or RTM?

Please perform a cleanboot. A Clean Boot will allow us to isolate any device drivers or programs that are loading at startup that may be causing a conflict with other device drivers or programs that are installed in your computer.

1) Run MSCONFIG.EXE. (MSCONFIG is a built-in tool for Windows XP\2003 systems.)

2) In the Services tab, click "Hide All Microsoft Services" and click "Disable All".

3) In the Startup tab, click "Disable All". Click OK. (This will temporarily prevent third-party programs from running automatically during start-up.)

4) Restart the computer. Does the problem still persist?

If the problem does not occur, it indicates that the problem is related to one application or service we have disabled. You can use the MSCONFIG tool again to re-enable the disabled item one by one to find out the culprit.

Also,please reintall Windows Update Agent for Windows Vista

X-86:
    http://download.windowsupdate.com/Wi...gent30-x86.exe

X-64:
    http://download.windowsupdate.com/Wi...gent30-x64.exe

After that please re-start "Windows Update" services. You can do that by: type "services.msc" from a command prompt and find "Windows Update"

Hope it helps.

Source: Microsoft Online Community Support

Issue:

Receiving Error 8007051a when trying to perform Windows Update on Windows Vista. Microsoft knowledge base doesn’t seem to contain any useful information, neither does googling…

Solution:

• Locate “C:\Windows\winsxs\pending.xml“
    • Take ownership of the file
    • Give yourself (or a group you’re in, like Administrators) full permissions to the file
    • Rename the file to something like “pending.xml.old“
    • Reboot and run Windows Update
    • Watch Windows Update find those updates you’ve been missing. Done!

This worked beautifully for a Vista Ultimate x64.

l33t Re: Error Code 8007051A

Wow! thanks for that. I spent quite a while trying all the sugestions of MVPs on other sites all to no avail. Then I cam e across your post and tried it out.
    As I'm on vista home premium 32bit I could not take ownership of the file OR make myself a member of a group that had permission to do so. (grrrrrr) Not to be beaten I tried booting into knoppix and cp the file as a backup then deleting.

Sadly although I was mounted -t ntfs the driver was a read only driver and could not write to the ntfs partition so I could not delete the file.

Then I found that partition magic on the ultimate boot cd would boot into a linux desktop which claimed to have a rw version of the ntfs driver so I tried but same result no matter how I tried I could not delete that file even as root. It had some ACLs set I think.

Tried all kinds of ways then I got lucky, when I booted into windows again it decided that the C drive need file checking and in the process of that it deleted the file for me and told me so. Woohoo! I guess the partition magic linux system did use a rw driver after al but that it wasn't able to quite do it fully but marked it as for deletion or something.

Went to windows update and was able at last to update thesystem. Yay!

It may be that BART might have been a way to do this more easily perhaps by a vista professional version of BART maybe could have just directly deleted that file (caveat emptor!)

You rule! and vista doesn't! and m$ has peaked and is now peakered.
    Thank you so much.