Thread: Installing Solaris10 inside VirtualBox ver 2.1.0

Installing Solaris10 inside VirtualBox ver 2.1.0

I am basically fine to work on VB and solaris 10 but I am not an expert guy to do these all things .

1) Host OS: Windows XP
    2) Virtual box: ver 2.1.0
    3) I have downloaded the solaris10 DVD images (1 file 2GB approximately size)

a) I have finished to make the virtual machine and also done a VDI with 16GB.
    b) Started the solaris vm
    c) Moves into the Grub> prompt

I done the mounting of ISO image as CD/DVD ROM from virtual box. However, I can't continue with the installation procedure. Commonly, I would have perform a boot CDROM-install or something just as that, but I can't do that with grub. Anyone here have any idea then please share with me ?

Re: Installing Solaris10 inside VirtualBox ver 2.1.0

I am trying to perform the installation of Solaris 10 from an ISO file onto the Virtual Box 1.5.2. After reserving 512 MB, I can get the window screen Copyright information , at which point I received an error message. According to some previous suggestion, I upped to 824 MB (a random number greater than the 768) and nothing got improved in the progress in the installation. I would include code from the log file but it seems very bulky and I have no idea about the relation of those . Does someone here have any idea about the same ?

Fine ,I have done the update described as follows ...

1) The single DVD ISO image doesn't work.
    2) I have downloaded the single disk ISO zip files, combined them within a individual file.
    3) Launched the Virtual Machine , mounted the new ISO image ....

a) I have prompted with the grub menu and started installing Solaris 10 ... continued very reliably without any issues .

So, my question is that Is it "feature" documented at any location ?

Dr. V Guest

If the individual DVD ISO doesn't go for the booting procedure (and you have to be sure that the download was finished already , by verifying the hash), then it's a error prone result . Let me find out if the hash is fine ; if so then I can go through the release engineering to find out how a broken DVD got out..

I have completed the downloading of individual disk ISO images and combined all of them within a single ISO image file . I have done the mounting of ISO image within the virtual box and launched the VM and I could get the grub menu panel .Then I just go through the prompts and installed the vol 1 disk .

After making a restart of machine , it needed to know the destination of the vol2 and I located to CDROM. However, the installer got unable to detect the vol2 from another ISO image. So, I do quit form the installation.

Now, I need to ask is :

1) How can I perform the manual installation of vol2, 3, 4 and 5 within the virtual box?

2) I do have the single ISO images. So, should I just mounting each vol and perform the installation of this ?