Thread: VirtualBox RDP or Windows RDP

VirtualBox RDP or Windows RDP

The remote desktop protocol (RDP ) are responsible for the transmission of data to and from VDI Core . Sun VDI supports two types of RDP : Microsoft RDP ( MS - RDP) and VirtualBox RDP ( VRDP ) . If you have set strict requirements on the platform virtualization and the guest OS to use for your desktop sessions , it is possible that you can not select the desired type of PDR . However , if you use a platform virtualization VirtualBox and offices offer Windows XP or Windows Vista, you have the choice between MS - RDP and VRDP . Can anybody suggest me which one is good- VirtualBox RDP or Windows RDP.

Dr. V Guest

Re: VirtualBox RDP or Windows RDP

VRDP is required for any type RDP session hosted by a guest platform virtualization VirtualBox and running on one of the following operating systems : Windows 7 , Windows, 2000 SP4 , Ubuntu 8.10, Ubuntu 9.04, OpenSolaris 2009.06 or SUSE Linux Enterprise 11. The invited sessions running under Windows XP SP2 / 3 or Windows Vista Enterprise (and hosted by a platform VirtualBox virtualization ) can be configured to use VRDP or MS - RDP. so its affordable.

MS- RDP is the type required for any session hosted by a guest platform virtualization Microsoft Hyper- V or VMware vCenter running Windows XP SP2 / 3 or Windows Vista Enterprise. The invited sessions hosted by a platform virtualization VirtualBox and running under Windows XP SP2 / 3 or Windows Vista Enterprise can be configured to use VRDP or MS - RDP.

I am using Windows RDP.
    * Connecting at the machine - Core VRDP VDI allows to connect to the session called at the virtual machine . This feature allows the user to control the startup of the virtual machine , which gives the user the impression that the session is displayed faster VDI since it does not need to wait that the internal RDP server is operational to accept connections.
    * Redirect USB SRS - VRDP supports USB redirection SRS for all SE are listed above.
    * Networking NAT - VRDP is required for VirtualBox NAT networking .

Windows RDP have connecting at the SE - MS- RDP connects system-level operations . This feature does not allow the user to control the startup of the virtual machine , which can give the user the impression that the VDI session opens slower , since it must wait until the internal RDP server is operational to accept connections. Redirect USB SRS - MS- RDP only supports USB redirection SRS on Windows XP SP2 / 3 , and not Windows Vista Enterprise. Multimedia Enhancements - If you need the multimedia enhancements ( VC -1 H.264 , Flash ) on Windows XP, you must use MS- RDP, since they are not supported under VRDP .

VirtualBox can be configured to provide remote access to virtual machines via RDP ( Remote Desktop ).I tried , and it's very simple. Simply :
    - in the setting " View "of a VM ( Virtual Machine ) , tab " Remote View " check box activation
    - Launch the MV
    - on the remote machine , open the remote desktop on the IP HOST (the only trick to know ) .
    If you want access to very, very distant , via the Internet , you must configure the router for it " Natter " port 3389 to the HOST. I did my testing with VirtualBox 3.0.2 on a Windows -64bits - September , with a virtual machine XP - Pro . Remote access has been made from a Vista- Ultimate ( Ultimate ) with the standard remote desktop. The test took me three minutes in LAN , and just one minute from the Internet (I have two connections, which facilitates this kind of testing).