Thread: Drive Letter Issue - Windows 7

Drive Letter Issue - Windows 7

Hi,
    I have been using Win 7 Pro for a couple of months now, and as of this morning, had a freeky thing happen.
    When the Desktop PC woke up from hibernate, one of the drive letters from an external drive connected by fire wire changed. I went to Computer Manager to change it back, but it is no longer available in the drop-down.

I checked the entire PC, and no other drive is using the letter. What gives?
    What can I do to fix this? Can I do anything to make sure it doesn't happen again?

Thanks in advance,
    Jake

Re: Drive Letter Issue - Windows 7

How did you tried to change the drive letter? Did you followed the below procedure?

1. Go to Start and type "computer management" in the search box. Double-click on Computer Management to open it.
    2. Navigate to the Disk Management option from the left side and select it.
    3. Now towards the right-hand side, look for your drive and right-click on it. Select "Change Drive Letter and Paths".
    4. Now tap on the "Change" button. Make your necessary changes and press OK finally to save the changes.
    5. Reboot your computer.

Did you performed the last important step given above; if not then do it and see if it works.

There is another way through which you can make the changes. All you need to do is to work out well by performing a system restore. You need to click on start button and then to the programs option. Now to the accessories look for system tools. Then open system restore and set the date accordingly when it was working fine. This will let you to get to a proper solution and process as required.

MV:

Note in my original post that the problem is that the Drive Letter did not appear in the drop down list in order to select it. The reboot made things worse in one way, in that all of my external drives were re-lettered. Fortunately, it did reveal the drive letters again.

SalVatore:
    The restore would definitely work, but I can't be assured it won't happen again. No doubt, it has something to do with a bug in the hibernate process. but is there a work-around?

Thanks,
    J

To Further trying to fix the problem: Go to device manager

1) Look for an entry that says "Unknown disk" or something similar. This entry may not be marked with error icon.

2) After locating the entry, right click and select "Uninstall"

3) After uninstalling, press F5 or select "scan for hardware changes" in the action menu.

4) The driver is then reinstalled correctly.

5) If step 4 does not work correctly or you get another BSOD, I cannot help you, it is a hardware or driver problem that Microsoft will have to resolve.