Thread: Erase an SSD before returning it

Erase an SSD before returning it

SSD drives are trying to multiply in the configurations of netbooks in particular. Here i would like to have a utility that would permanently remove the data on this type of support, the equivalent of Eraser for hard drives "classics". I have read that Windows 7 seemed TRIM manage the protocol but I confess to not understand everything and I would rather a standalone application. Please help me so that i can Erase an SSD before returning it

Re: Erase an SSD before returning it

This method is the heaviest. Far from being complicated, it requires quite a lot of third-party hardware. So it's simple that we need the bios of your PC is in IDE mode (no OS in raid), connect the DSS on 0.1 or 2 sata ports. So it intend to use this method to flash a user with enough anyway. but not too much (in my case: I fine tune with my OS in raid0 on the desktop. I have reused an old system disk. We must put an SSD in factory mode. To do this we must add a small jumper on two pins. So for those who still have PATA HDD, is simple. but for those who only have the sata. dig a little in the documentation provided with your motherboard.

SSDs are not aligned to leave the factories, but it must be done ... then at the technical level, this is because the flash memory write / read on a block size of 4KB. So to optimize the access it is preferable to align the partition on a multiple of 4KB. For information, Windows XP default aligns its partitions 63kb ... not terrible. By cons Vista / Seven 1024Kb align with what is good, especially vis-Ã*-vis the capacity of NAND Flash block erase only by 512K.

Finally, the alignment is a performance issue. It is absolutely aligned before installing XP, but not really necessary in Vista and unnecessary under Seven (unless you use a RAID in which case he does not see Seven is SSD). For information, detects when a DSS Seven optimizes its use directly (nothing to do) except trim (seven) who is not yet supported by any DSS.

Follow the below instructions to resolve this problem.

1. Boot from your OS in IDE mode (not RAID or AHCI). Wait until the disk is properly installed by the OS. Under Vista, it must also disable the UAC (Msconfig-> Options-> Disable UAC-> execute) and then reboot to apply changes.
    2. Go into the directory corresponding to the capacity of the disk and start the start.exe in administrator mode (Vista).
    3. Now you will get a message box: Plug in Units and press OK Button. Simply press OK.
    4. The command lines in rapid succession and after a few moments a new dialog appears and asks to go from factory mode to normal mode ... well just remove the jumper and click OK.
    5. Are reviewed immediately after the first dialog box: Plug in Units and press OK Button Here you have to click CANCEL because we just flash the drive

Brief SSDs which have a capacity equal to a power of 2 = 64GB, 128GB etc. .. ... distrust and even recommended to create a partition buffer (blank data) to just avoid blockage of the DSS. Faced with this problem, the solution also does not fill up the SSD, the only real solution is TRIM, which once again demonstrates its usefulness, see how crucial it is for the SSD technology.

DSSs in 34 nm Intel, the X25-M "Postville" suffer from annoying bug: Changes on the password access to the BIOS results in deletion of data stored on the SSD. Specifically, add a password and edit or delete an existing password is very discouraged with the new version of the DSS. The bug - which affects only the new version of DSS - should be corrected with a new firmware, which should happen soon according to Intel.