Thread: Win XP virtual machine on SSD

Win XP virtual machine on SSD

I have been running windows 7 on my desktop computer having an Intel X25M Processor. Also i would like to run a new windows XP the 32-bit version using a Virtual desktop. So i need to ask that whether i need to bother the Garbage collection for using windows XP as my guest Operating System. Also tell me is it possible to copy an existing VM created on a HDD in order View the SSD so that i can try to consider cluster alignment for the VHD. Please elaborate on this issue.

Re: Win XP virtual machine on SSD

With two installation of Windows 7 (32 and 64bit) installed on each one dedicated SSD, I suffered some discomfort with the famous BSOD (Blue Screen of Death), blue screen of death, you know that these screens Error messages that are generally does not understand the meanings, and we are railing against the machine. After having checked and tested all the hardware (RAM, drivers, etc. ...) My research led me to make adjustments especially when using Windows installed on a SSD.

SSD stands for Solid State Drive, it is a kind of big USB key if you really want to simplify. unlike a conventional hard disk there are no moving parts.
    • Access time for reading and writing faster.
    • They do not heat as there are no moving parts.
    • They are lighter (weight gain especially for laptop )
    • Do not fear the vibration or shock (keeping reasonable recess )
    • Low power consumption (good for the planet)

SSDs will replace the longer term our old hard drive, IDE drives already are becoming increasingly rare, replaced by SATA I and II. is to use discs with an OS on it, it must also lose some snuff habits with conventional hard disks, such as defragmenting, indexing (for those who use it), caching, etc. ... Why? well just for reasons of premature wear of the cells, because of repeated cycles of read / write.

As far as i know SSD Still expensive at present for the public to report on storage capacity that currently exists on the market (even if prices have already dropped). two technology confronts the SLC and MLC (for short, is a story of single cell level or multilevel). Performance level that not all created equal. Does not support AHCI. Little or not enough back on the reliability and life in general and especially in intensive use (with an operating system installed on it).

The latest service pack for Microsoft to correct some incompatibility issues with the SSD. Disable AHCI in the BIOS => SSD does not support correctly date NCQ. Check that the frequency of PCI-Express, as it is quite normal (100 or 101) => SATA controllers are mostly on PCI-E today and overclocking the bus returns to overclock components memory SSD, which is not desirable. Update your drivers (chipset, graphics card, etc.) (for the Intel chipset update package is available on the website) => the latest versions are able to correct some problems with SSD.

Dr. V Guest

The bug which affects only the new version of DSS - should be corrected with a new firmware, which should happen soon according to Intel. Meanwhile, it seems that the first orders are delayed, while the DSS was expected within a few days for first arrivals. Let's just hope that this is faster than for the firmware TRIM for the first model, which will happen eventually ever, Intel prefers to deal with the new version.