Thread: Windows Home Server Problem

Windows Home Server Problem

I was using Windows XP as operating system but now I have turned to Windows Home Server. I have configured properly (according to me ) but I am facing many problems. Actually the scene is that on my LAN I have an NAS (Network Attached Storage) running Windows Home Server. Whenever I am trying to download anything with the help of uTorrent, I am getting an errors. When I was using the Windows XP, it was working flawlessly. Do you think that I have configured incorrectly.?? Please help me.!!

Re: Windows Home Server Problem

Previous to setting up remote access, you will have a second to comprehend what is happening. Think for a second, as the Internet as comparable to the "snail-mail" postal service. When you are conveyance a letter, you need one email address. This address is an address, city, postal code and country. This is very analogous to an Internet address has a host name (similar to street address) a town / postcode ( similar to a domain name), and a country (similar to .com or co.uk.) to total all domain names. Think of a postcard book search, DNS (Domain Name Services) will tell you where in the Internet to find the accurate position of your server.

You should go through the following points for configuring Remote Access Home Server.
    • Record your server in the global DNS Windows Live services, giving his team an e-environment, such as host name. Homeserver.com. This is how it saves your aunts address in the GPS and making Click Aunt May to get home. There is no need to remember the full address is really only "Aunt May". This is what you are doing when you register your server with DNS services.
    • Home Server will attempt to remove any wall to specific ports on the primary server provides remote access a. It does this by calling your UPnP router and attempts to open the ports in the firewall and point to your server.
    • Home server for home network protection, therefore, has a local Windows firewall, this firewall is configured to allow these ports through your server. As a side note here, the Firewall Windows allows a lot more "stuff" through the local network server for streaming media, and client / server communication. Think of them as the doors of the dining room, living room, etc. should not be changed without consulting anyone know the structure of your home server

Windows Home Server allows the creation and management of up to 10 users. These names correspond to user accounts and passwords for identification when you start the computer. These different accounts are used to manage user access rights to files from the home network or from the site of remote access. These access rights are the number of 3 :
    • None: the user will see the existence of the file, but can not see its contents;
    • Reading: the user can open the folder or file, but can not modify or delete;
    • Full: The user has all rights to the file: read, create, modify, move, delete.

A guest account is proposed by default which allows very limited access to quickly share data with anyone outside the home. For security reasons, this account has no remote access via the website.

The Backup feature is responsible for the existence of Windows Home Server. A software called "Windows Home Server Console" installed on each computer in the home network allows the analysis of the computer to perform the backup on the server. This analysis is to determine the last modified files to send to the server. The backup system to keep the data according to business rules preconfigured on the server. Every Sunday, the server carries out a maintenance operation to delete the backups according to these rules:
    • Keep the last 3 backups;
    • Keep a backup of the last 3 weeks;
    • Keep a backup of the last 3 months.

The server also retains all backups initiated manually by the user. Since management console, it is possible to change the storage time of a backup manual or automatic.

The user should not worry about the management of hard disks. The storage space is unique and the management of multiple hard drives is transparent. It is possible to add or remove a hard drive without losing data and without having to manage multiple storage spaces. The server treats all drives as a single disk on which the user stores his digital data. For the most important data, the user can activate an option of duplicating that the server will copy its data to two hard disks are physically different, but the user will realize nothing. Finally, in case of ill health of a hard disk, the user will be warned and may therefore anticipate a hardware failure.

In case of problem (hardware failure, virus infection, deletion), the server includes a system restore. This system works with the help of a CD-ROM on which the computer should start. The wizard will then load the drivers required for the operation of the hard drive and network card. The wizard will connect to the server to access the database backups. Once launched, several scenarios are possible :
    • Restore the computer to a fully specified date. In this scenario, the entire computer and data will be replaced by the condition contained in the backup.
    • Restore part of the computer. If the drive has multiple partitions, it is possible to choose the partition to restore.

Restore a backup from another computer. This scenario is useful when switching computers. If the user does not have the means to move its data from one computer to another, it is possible to retrieve a backup from another computer and restore it on again. Caution, this scenario works for data partitions and not for system partitions (unless the hardware is identical).

Dr. V Guest

To access the management server, Windows Home Server Console allows through technology Terminal to connect to the server. A screen, organized into several sections allows you to :
    • Manage computers: see their backup status (current, overdue, in progress), configure backups (select folders to exclude, in particular) view the backup history.
    • Manage users: to create and manage users with access to the server.
    • Manage Folders: to add and manage access rights to the server by users.
    • Manage storage: to add or remove a hard drive and monitor the health of hard drives.
    • Settings: In order to initiate and manage the server options.