Thread: System will only boot in safe mode W/O Net

System will only boot in safe mode W/O Net

I get a hung boot every time I try and boot UNLESS I go into safe mode Without Networking. On the Safe mode With Networking it hangs after
    mup.sys and agp440.sys appear on the loading order. This is when the system moves over to the GUI. In Normal boot it will hang with the WinXP progress bar.

I just did a clean Install of XP Pro SP2 and am getting the same results. SM go, SMwN no go and Normal NoGo.

I thougt it might be a Hardware issue with the NIC or Modem so I disabled them in the BIOS but still no go for normal or Networking. SM is fine.

The Clean Install wiped the System restore points so that is out. THe last thing I am going to try is swapping in a new HDD and seeing if it is the HDD.

System is a Dell INsperion XPS (Gen1) with P4 3.2 GHz with 1 Gig Ram. ON board and a 60 Gig HDD.

Re: System will only boot in safe mode W/O Net

there is a possibility that you may have installed the Update for Windows Xp. Sometimes it do happen that the update KB977165 lead such issue. For resolving this you need to follow the steps that is first you need to start the system using Windows Xp utility disc and start the recovery console. As you are into the Repair mode you then need to type the command that is CHDIR $NtUninstallKB977165$\spuninst. Now type the command BATCH spuninst.txt.As it is been done you need to type Exit. Restart the system and look for the change.

It can not be an update issue, because I have done 2 clean installs of WinXP SP 2 On two different HDD (the Original 60gig and an older 10 gig that I had) . And it is doing it after the first reboot after the setup screen. It MUST be hardware related, and Not the HDD as I swapped that out and did a CLEAN with FORMAT OSRI on the New HDD and it is also doing it. Hanging at the launch of the GUI with networking. I have disabled in the Bios the NIC and Modem, (the Wireless and BT are not installed) the only thing left that I can think of is the PCMIA slot driver or the 1394 driver, as the USB ports work in SM w/o N. I have not tried command prompt at all.

http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;310396You can try to use the Windows Recovery Console to extract a new copy of the Kernel32.dll file from the original Windows XP CD. To do this, follow these steps:

1. Start the Recovery Console. If you do not have the Recovery Console installed, start it from the Windows XP CD. To do this, follow these steps:

a. Insert the Windows XP CD, and then restart the computer. If you are prompted, select any options that are required to start from the CD.

b. When the text-based part of the Setup program starts, follow the instructions that appear on your screen. To select the repair or recover option, press R.

c. If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you must access from the recovery console.

d. When you are prompted, type the Administrator password.

2. At the command prompt, type cd system32, and then press ENTER.

3. Type ren kernel32.dll kernel32.old, and then press ENTER.

4. Type map, and then press ENTER.

5. Note the drive letter that is assigned to the CD-ROM drive that contains the Windows XP CD. It is appears in a format that is similar to the following format:
    Code:
    D:   \Device\CdRom0
    6. Type the following command, and then press ENTER:
    expand drive\i386\kernel32.dl_

Where drive is the drive letter of the CD-ROM drive that contains the Windows XP CD). For example, type:
    Expand d:\i386\kernel32.dl_

Note: Include the underscore character after the "L" in Kernel32.dl_.

You receive the following message:
    Code:
    Kernel32.dll
            1 file(s) expanded.
    7. Type exit. The computer restarts.

8. Remove the Windows XP CD, and then start the computer as you regularly do.

More information here.