Thread: Mac OS X desktop icons change position

Mac OS X desktop icons change position

Hello,
    I searched for this and I wonder if I'm the only one with this problem. Since the update of my 2 laptops (MacBook and MacMini) to Snow, the office is sometimes forgotten in place of its icons. When I restart, they pick up all right of the screen and in alphabetical order. No mortal, it does not happen often, but not funny. I have to again arrange all the applications on the desktop every time I restart the computer. Do you have any solution for this Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

Re: Mac OS X desktop icons change position

Right-click the desktop and select display options for presentation: choose the setting you, snow leopard tends to put the mess in the presentation at home too. So, be aware of this behavior too. Hope this will help you to arrange the icons on your desktop appropriately.

Thank you for your answer, but it is not the solution: options for presentations are OK. It's just that the file that holds the place of icons on the desktop does not do its job. I remember we had this kind of thing in OS7, 8 or 9 (most too sure, it's been so long) But since OSX, it had not happened. In short, if someone has a different track, thank you for help.

Basically your files .dS_Store that hold this information. They are invisible but some utilities may make them appear. Without being certain, it seems to me that it was after checking the disk. The positive side is that it forces me to keep an office reached to limit the work of re-installation: 20 icons so far, which makes little about my 24 inches on the desktop.

I have the latest OS X update, I used all the functions maintains for Snow. It seems that sometimes it becomes an unlikely, somewhat less reactive. Then when I restarts, all icons have lost their seats. Here, I think it could be related to TimeMachine disk and its external FireWire. The contact of the cable is not always good, sometimes the drive is disconnected. I also do many connections / disconnections of disks and USB cards on the Mac Mini. I have a MacBook Pro with the installation was done from the Mac Mini, so with the same apps. It is perfectly stable, it is not connected to a disk for TimeMachine. I also think the Mac Mini to clean everything and reinstall properly. Too many unnecessary preferences etc.

Hello,
    The only unusual thing I had done before is to use Onyx version 2.1 the last release. I have not done much, just started checking permissions and three maintenance scripts (via I found that running the weekly script was extremely short of about 10s). After I turned off, and during the next startup, very long, all icons were right. It's good now for the icons, but the start, after stopping on my Mac Pro has become extremely long, I timed 4mm 6s long, after the process is fairly short. The delay is normal after a simple reboot without turning off. Good start and icons on the right may have nothing to do, as well as Onyx, but the coincidence is disturbing. I just noticed by looking at the console, but I am not an expert. So, if you guys can help me with this, it would be great. Thank you.

Well, I'm become reasonable, I turned a lot of stuff on the desktop. I just love having everything in sight. It did not help. Randomly, the icons were still upset right at start up. But since the update to 10.6.2, I have not had any problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaganmohini View Post
    …When I restart, they pick up all right of the screen and in alphabetical order. No mortal, it does not happen often, but not funny. I have to again arrange all the applications on the desktop every time I restart the computer. Do you have any solution for this Any help is appreciated. Thank you.
    I wonder if it might be an issue with "permissions"… Maybe your user account does not have the permissions to change these parameters.

Try using the Disk Utility to "Repair permissions", then change the desktop parameters, then restart…

Then come back here to tell us if this worked.

Good luck!