Thread: Will it be good to make /home/backup as dest in WHM Backup

Will it be good to make /home/backup as dest in WHM Backup

I have setup of two 750 GB mirrored drives on my server and almost all of the space is stored at home, So i just want to ask you guys that will it be okay if i make my backup destination to /home/backup? Actually i have gone through the backup UI where it says something else which suggests that this is a bad idea.

Re: Will it be good to make /home/backup as dest in WHM Backup

According to me, Actually backup destination should be the directory/NFS/Coda which must be having a least as double as compare to the space of all your /home partition. so ultimately you will be taking so much of risk to backup with such a half a space. I guess it would be bad idea from me too to backup on /home/backup.
    Could you at least provide some information about your servers configurations?

Sorry i did not think that it would be so important to give the specifications. So here are the specifications a follows.

/dev/sda5 is of 8123168 (1K Blocks) which has been used 10%.
    /dev/sda8 is of 677937172 (1K Blocks) and it has used 9% which is mounted on /home.
    /dev/sda6 is of 1019208 (1K Blocks), 5% used and its mounted on /tmp.
    /dev/sda3 is of 8123200 (1K Blocks), 52% used and mounted on /usr.
    /dev/sda2 is of 10154020 (1K Blocks) and it has used 11% and mounted on /var.
    /dev/sda1 is of 124427 (1K Blocks) and 15% used, its mounted on /boot.
    tmpfs is of 1032884 (1K Blocks) on /dev/shm have not been used.
    Last edited by Armando-H; 15-06-2010 at 11:11 PM.

I would be recommending not to make /home partition as your destination drive even though you have plenty of disk space. It is not at all safe to do so as if suppose your /home partition have got a problem then mirror will also get problems if it really a mirror. So from my point of view, you should not be doing using Home as your backup destination.

I would be suggesting to get an additional hard drive in the server which you may use for cpbackups location if you want to perform the backups on a local hard drive. And even these drives have became much cheaper now so you must afford to buy them in order to do a safe backup. In addition to this you can use this drive with another server as well when can down the first server for a few minutes.

It is not recommended to use a partition such as /home no matter that it would be technically possible. And normally it is not recommended to use the same drive on which an operating system has been installed. I suggest you to use secondary drive or you may use a separate partition. remote backup method is highly recommended if your are going to use a separate partition on the same drive as /home or the OS in order to minimize the risk of data loss in the event of a hardware failure.

If /home2 would be an unmounted if it is not used for any accounts yet or it might happen that it has been formatted and then remounted as a backup drive. But before considering the above reasons, Make sure that is there any user home directories are stored within /home2. I recommend escalating the request to on-site data center staff as they are well equipped to assist with tasks relating to drive installation and maintenance, including formatting and modifying mount points.