Thread: windows 7 network user

windows 7 network user

so i have a small annoyance that id like to fix
    i run an internet cafe, we use clonezilla to image all of our computers
    we store these images on a 1.5 tb drive on my windows 7 computer that is shared over the network

what i would like to do is create a seperate user account for the computer so that my staff can access these images---> simple i know, now here's the catch
    i do not want my staff to be able to sit down in front of my computer and log on, i want them only to be able to access that drive over the network
    i used to be able to find the option in xp, i just cant find it in win 7....

any advice?

Re: windows 7 network user

1. First, know what the Computer name is and what Workgroup it belongs to.

The Workgroup name needs to be the same on all PC’s that are being networked; no matter the OS on each system. This is already setup, even if only by default, in the setup process while installing each OS.

Verify what the Windows 7 computer and workgroup names are by going to Control Panel > System and Security > System > and read information under “Computer name, domain, and workgroup settings” (The third category down).

If the names need to be changed go to Change settings in that category or Advanced System Settings in left pane. Then, Computer Name Tab > Change, type the Computer Name and Workgroup Name. > OK. Make the computer name meaningful to aid recognition. The computer should restart.

2. Second, adjust Windows 7 settings to allow for sharing with older OS on other networked systems.

Now go to Control Panel > Network and Internet > Network and Sharing Center > Change Advanced Sharing Settings (side panel). Make sure Network Discovery, File and Printer Sharing, and Public Folder Sharing are all set to “on” and Password Protected Sharing is set to “off”.

Note: I recommend leaving Media sharing set to “on” and under Windows HomeGroup connections select “Allow Windows HomeGroup to manage homegroup connections (recommended)”.

More information here.

all the networking is working, i have a workgroup set up and all folders are accessible over the network under both user account (mine and staff)
    thats not the problem
    i want to have (staff) access folder \\comp\images by network only
    i do not want (staff) to sit down at my computer log on and play solitaire (or whatever)

You can try to create a new folder and copy the images in that folder and then right click the same folder and give sharing options to the network users, make that read only when you do so. When your staff will access your computer via network, the images folder solely will be available for them to use.

sharing over the network is currently not a problem, the specific thing i am trying to do is not have anyone else sit down at my computer and log onto windows, the only thing i want this other user to be able to do is access the one drive over the network
    i do not want my staff to have local access to my computer

You can make it possible to work by forming a group policy for restricting the user to have access to the local drives. All you need to do is to access to the User configuration and then to Administrative templates. Now to the Windows Components and then Windows Explorer to hide these specific drives in My computer. and prevent access to drives from my computer.

that works to stop them from accessing the hard drives, however they can still log onto windows

To deny logon to windows follow the below procedure:

Group Policy' "Deny log on locally" was setup to deny users or domain users. To setup allow users or domain users to logon the computer or domain locally, "Deny log on locally" should be empty or no users or domain users in the list. Please follow these steps to remove the users or domain users from the "Deny log on locally".

1. Run gpedit.msc.
    2. Expand Windows Settings\Security Settings\Local Policies
    3. Click on User Rights Assignment
    4. Ensure that "Deny log on locally" is empty.

I think in the network just change the settings of the operating system related with the network and start sharing service with all the client. This two operation can helps you a lot.