Thread: Not able to change registry values / merge .reg file

Not able to change registry values / merge .reg file

Hi,

I am trying to add the registry key given below in my machine’s registry. I tried the following steps, in vain.

1. I put the key in a .reg file ( as per instructions here http://www.usnetizen.com/fix_capslock.php. However, when I tried to merge the file, I was getting this error message: The specified file is not a registry script file.

2. I also tried to import the file from with in the registry editor, but got the same error message.

3. Finally, I tried to create the key manually. While I was able to create the value, I am not able to change its default values, i.e. all zeros. I made sure that the permissions related to the key. The user had full access to the key.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Keyboard Layout]
    "Scancode Map"=hex:00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,02,00,00,00,29,00 ,0F,00,00,00,00,00

How can I resolve this problem?

My OS : Windows Vista, Home premium.

Thanks.

MG.

Re: Not able to change registry values / merge .reg file

There might be some error in your system registry. Before importing anything i'll suggest you to try any good registry cleaner application. Also, A file "registry" is a text file importable readable practically clear. Is this in your case ? If not than the .reg file is not in the proper format. Try to have another.

Are you logged in as administrator?

To add a registry subkey or add or change a registry value, make the appropriate changes in the registry, and then export the appropriate subkey or subkeys. Exported registry subkeys are automatically saved as .reg files. To make changes to the registry and export your changes to a .reg file, follow these steps:

1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit in the Open box, and then click OK.

2. Locate and then click the subkey that holds the registry item or items that you want to change.

3. Click File, and then click Export.

This step backs up the subkey before you make any changes. You can import this file back into the registry later if your changes cause a problem.
    In the File name box, type a file name to use to save the .reg file with the original registry items, and then click Save.

4. Note: Use a file name that reminds you of the contents, such as a reference to the name of the subkey.

5. In the right pane, add or modify the registry items you want.

6. Repeat steps 3 and 4 to export the subkey again, but use a different file name for the .reg file. You can use this .reg file to make your registry changes on another computer.

6. Test your changes on the local computer. If they cause a problem, double-click the file that holds the backup of the original registry data to return the registry to its original state. If the changes work as expected, you can distribute the .reg you created in step 6 to other computers by using the methods in the "Distributing Registry Changes" section.

Thanks a lot folks.

James 911,

I followed your steps and created a new file. I realized that I was missing an important line: Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00.
    It works great now.